Italian Beef in NC

ACW3

First of all I want to thank a few folks who inspired me to want to cook Italian Beef in the first place: Deb, Squirtthecat, and Chili Head. All your cooks got my taste buds yearning to try Italian Beef. Rick B. gave me a package of Louie’s Italian Beef au jus seasoning at his Smoke Out last June. I guess he should get credit, too.

Here is the vaunted au jus seasoning package.
IMG_7030.jpg

I bought an Angus eye round, coated it with Annie’s Roasted Garlic EVOO, and then put Big Poppa’s Double Secret Rub on it. Into the MAK set 200 using Perfect Mix pellets. When the IT reached about 125, I pulled and let rest. It looked and smelled so good that I hand sliced enough for our dinner. The remaining meat was wrapped and put into the refrigerator overnight.
IMG_7027.jpg

The next day I used my slicer to make a pile of goodness, ready for the crock pot.

IMG_7028.jpg

Into the crock pot went the au jus seasoning, water, a jar of pepperocini, and, of course, the meat.

IMG_7031.jpg

A closer look at “heaven”.

IMG_7032.jpg

Next on the agenda was dinner. I took two Philly rolls, put some provolone cheese on them, and put them under the broiler to melt the cheese. Next, load them up with the meat and pepperocini, and add some potato chips. Dinner is served!

IMG_7033.jpg

My wife was somewhat skeptical about the seasoning on the meat (it had to do with the whole jar of pepperocini being added to the pot). She loved it! The heat kind of mellows out the bite of the pepperocini. The only thing she suggested was to cook up some sliced onions in the pot the next time. Since I have plenty for more sandwiches, I went ahead and sliced the onion and added it to the pot while it was still hot. I also bought some Giardiniera to add to future sandwiches. This is a keeper.

Thanks again to those who inspired me to follow in their tracks.

Art

ACW3

Louie's seasoning is BOSS! I have been trying to locate it around NC. Looks like I may need to hit the internet to get it, however. That new meat slicer my wife bought me has been a real good tool in the kitchen. I have used it for EZ Pastrami, home-cured bacon, and now the eye round for Italian Beef.

Art

Top Bottom