It's the season: Lets talk turkey!

Tailback

I've got 11 people to feed on Thanksgiving day and I've never used my pellet grill to cook the turkey in yet. (had a Traeger, upgraded to a MAK this year)

I've had really good luck brining the turkey and then shoving herb butter under the skin and cooking in the oven. How about we share some techniques on cooking the bird on some pellet grills?

Looking forward to responses!

Deb

TentHunter

Yep, like Deb said BP's Turkey Tips thread is a great place to start.

WARNING - Do NOT visit Deb's thread unless you have paper towels handy to wipe up all the drool!

My favorite turkey tips:

1) I am hooked on spatchcocking.

2) I limit the turkey size to no more than around a 14 lb MAX weight. I prefer around a 12 lb.

3) Personally, I skip the brine. I find with spatchcocking the turkey comes out so moist there is simply no need for brining or the extra salt it introduces.

ACW3

I'm with Cliff on not brining, but spatchcocking. That is how I have been doing mine. I have a 12 pounder that I will spatchcock and then do something a bit different to this year. I will be injecting the bird. This part is not new, but what I am going to inject is new: blood orange infused EVOO. I have injected evoo mixed with garlic powder, melted butter, or anything that can flkow through the needle. Definitely adds a different dimension to the bird. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Art

scooter

I agree with the above. Brining has not proven necessary in my experience if you cook the breast to 165 it will be moist. Injecting is better IMO.
Also, something I did last year for the first time is to buy two birds approx 14lbs. One 14lb'er could have covered it but I bought two. The second one I split in two but not how you'd think. One half had all the white meat (both breasts and wings) and the other had all the dark (back, thighs, legs). I roasted the dark meat half a day early then made stock out of it for the gravy. The white meat half was roasted with the whole bird on Thanksgiving day to provide extra white meat for left overs.

Pappymn

I agree with the above. Brining has not proven necessary in my experience if you cook the breast to 165 it will be moist. Injecting is better IMO.
Also, something I did last year for the first time is to buy two birds approx 14lbs. One 14lb'er could have covered it but I bought two. The second one I split in two but not how you'd think. One half had all the white meat (both breasts and wings) and the other had all the dark (back, thighs, legs). I roasted the dark meat half a day early then made stock out of it for the gravy. The white meat half was roasted with the whole bird on Thanksgiving day to provide extra white meat for left overs.

Interesting technique. Except in my house I would have to do the reverse......dark meat people.

I have great results with brining. Afraid not to do it at this point.

Top Bottom