I've Got the Itch to Get a MAK...

rwalters

"You earned 5718 Poppa`s Points for the order you just placed.
The points you earned are currently pending the completion of your order. You will be able to spend these points after we finish processing your order."

Done! Now the waiting begins. :cool:

Dang, you don't play around when you make a decision! Congrats!!!!!!! :)

How much did you end up getting for your Primo setup (if you don't mind me asking)?

rzrbrewer

As previously mentioned I used to have a 1 Star and now cook on a 2 Star... so yes, in reading your posts I think you may repeat my same story if you don't go straight to the 2 Star... lol!

rwalters, you and I would get along just fine. I've got a MAK 2 Star on order and have been eyeing a Blackstone Griddle for a while now too! It'll have to wait, but I'll get my hands on one sooner or later.

rzrbrewer

Dang, you don't play around when you make a decision! Congrats!!!!!!! :)

How much did you end up getting for your Primo setup (if you don't mind me asking)?

Thanks! I figured since the Primo would be gone by this weekend what's the point in waiting any longer.
I got $1k for the Primo Oval XL w/ cypress table & most accessories available.

rwalters

rwalters, you and I would get along just fine. I've got a MAK 2 Star on order and have been eyeing a Blackstone Griddle for a while now too! It'll have to wait, but I'll get my hands on one sooner or later.
Oh boy! Maybe you should consider moving to California and become my neighbor... ;)
Which Blackstone do you have your eye on? I have a 36 and 17”. The 17” sits next to the MAK and makes for a great sear station when doing reverse sears.

rwalters

Thanks! I figured since the Primo would be gone by this weekend what's the point in waiting any longer.
I got $1k for the Primo Oval XL w/ cypress table & most accessories available.
WOW, if your Primo setup was in good condition, somebody got a great deal!

rzrbrewer

WOW, if your Primo setup was in good condition, somebody got a great deal!

Primo was in good shape for an 8 year old model. I had just replaced the hinge/band assembly & gasket as well. The cypress table was in need of some major TLC. When my dogs were pups, they decided it was their chew toy. But wood is cheap to replace so I feel like the buyer still got a great deal. He did as well, so all is good.

rzrbrewer

Oh boy! Maybe you should consider moving to California and become my neighbor... ;)
Which Blackstone do you have your eye on? I have a 36 and 17”. The 17” sits next to the MAK and makes for a great sear station when doing reverse sears.

I'd been eyeing the 36" but may now have to give the 17" a look!

rwalters

I'd been eyeing the 36" but may now have to give the 17" a look!
The 17” was made to pair well with a pellet grill. Here’s my setup, which looks pretty clean...

The griddle:
Blackstone Table Top Grill - 17 Inch Portable Gas Griddle - Propane Fueled - For Outdoor Cooking While Camping, Tailgating or Picnicking Amazon.com : Blackstone Table Top Grill - 17 Inch Portable Gas Griddle - Propane Fueled - For Outdoor Cooking While Camping, Tailgating or Picnicking : Garden & Outdoo

20lb propane adapter hose:
DozyAnt 4 Feet Propane Adapter Hose 1 lb to 20 lb Converter Replacement for QCC1/Type1 Tank Connects 1 LB Bulk Portable Appliance to 20 lb Propane Tank - Certified Amazon.com : DozyAnt 4 Feet Propane Adapter Hose 1 lb to 20 lb Converter Replacement for QCC1/Type1 Tank Connects 1 LB Bulk Portable Appliance to 20 lb Propane Tank - Certified : Garden & Outdoo

SS table:
TRINITY EcoStorage Stainless Steel Table - 24" x 24" x 35” - NS

The griddle sits on the top shelf and the propane on the adjustable bottom shelf. Love it!! :)

sschorr

rzrbrewer,

I have the exact same setup as rwalters now that I have the MAK 2 Star. I had the 17" before I got the MAK as I wanted a griddle without having to crank up my Weber gasser. Now it serves as a standalone, very quick way to use it as pure griddle or sear station (if needed). You might also check out the 22" portable Blackstone griddle - it will on the same table rwalters linked to, uses the same adapter hose to connect to a larger LP tank.

rzrbrewer

rzrbrewer,

I have the exact same setup as rwalters now that I have the MAK 2 Star. I had the 17" before I got the MAK as I wanted a griddle without having to crank up my Weber gasser. Now it serves as a standalone, very quick way to use it as pure griddle or sear station (if needed). You might also check out the 22" portable Blackstone griddle - it will on the same table rwalters linked to, uses the same adapter hose to connect to a larger LP tank.

Thanks sschorr, are there times you wished you had the 22" over the 17"?

sschorr

Yes, mainly because it has 2 burners. So doing a lower temp grill on one side does better at ideas like fajitas or other mixed veggies and meat cooks. Guess I think it would provide more versatility. Right now for cooks like that, I use a cast iron griddle on my Weber - which I intend to use on the MAK as it fits well over 1/2 of the main grate on the MAK.

KevinS

Honestly, not trying to up sell you but there is a reason we sell 5x more 2 Stars than 1 Stars. It has everything in one package and although the powder coat may be easier to clean it's not bulletproof like stainless steel. it comes down to your budget, you will love either one you choose :)
So when do I need to start worrying about about the paint on the 1 Star?

Just kidding. :)

I went with the 1 Star w/FZ because of the smaller foot print not price point, I have a small covered back patio and want to keep 2 grills back there instead of just 1, I like cooking on the Weber Performer, it's the one with the foldable table. The 40" width of the 1 Star will allow me to keep both on the patio and not have to move one to the garage then roll around the side yard onto the back patio to cook.

Last edited:

rwalters

I went with the 1 Star w/FZ because of the smaller foot print not price point, I have a small covered back patio and want to keep 2 grills back there instead of just 1, I like cooking on the Weber Performer, it's the one with the foldable table. The 40" width of the 1 Star will allow me to keep both on the patio and not have to move one to the garage then roll around the side yard onto the back patio to cook.

You are gonna LOVE your 1 Star. As far as exterior powder coated finish... I’ve never seen a higher quality finish on any other cooker. And with aluminized steel, even if/when you get a chip, there’s really no concern about rust. I had a few good chips on my old 1 Star that I applied touch up paint to... AFTER about a year... and there was not one spec of rust on the exposed steel when I did.

You have quite a dynamic cooking duo w/ your two cookers :)

MAK DADDY

Great point on the smaller footprint of the 1 Star Kevin, we here that a lot!

The powder is super durable but can be scratched off or chipped over time where stainless can't.
Glad you are enjoying your MAK :)

rzrbrewer

The 2 Star General is in route! Had my SRF order of a brisket and two racks of St Louis cut spares show up this week too so I'll be ready for the inaugural cook! Any brisket tips for this cooker?

mcschlotz

Tips on brisket... that could start an avalanche. Some key items are: its done when it want to be. Done is being probe tender, ie a toothpick goes into the flat without resistance (hot knife thru butter) this can occur anywhere from an IT of 195-210º in the thickest part of the flat. Smoke at high or low temp is a preference although low usually takes more time. Personally, I smoke at 275-280º which usually powers through 'the stall'. A full packer trimmed to ~ 15-16# will average somewhere from 45min-1h15m per pound. Why the variance? Every brisket is different but at lease you can roughly figure when it might get done. Rest the meat an hour before cutting into.

rzrbrewer

Thanks scooter! She's assembled and seasoned without much trouble. Really get to appreciate the fine engineering and craftsmanship put into these beauties through the assembly process. On deck is a SRF wagyu bone in strip steak for the inaugural cook one night this week to test out the flame zone and then it's on to the SRF brisket and 2 racks of Kurobuta spares to test out the low n slow this weekend. I have a feeling we're in for some good eats around this house for a while!

Top Bottom