At the four hour mark
almostthere.jpg

Going to give them some love and wrap up
Love.jpg

All sauce up and nowhere to go
Saucedup.jpg

Done and ready
done.jpg

Not bad at all for a 6 hour cook and plated.
myplate.jpg

Big_Jake

Ok here goes nothing....
Of course my new camera shows up next Tuesday so I had to use my old junky one.

Went to the local butcher shop and picked me up some spares.

IMG_0001.jpg

Cut them up St. Louis style and gave them a good rub down with my Big Jake's Dang Ol' Rub.

IMG_0002.jpg

Threw them on the MAK and made some BBQ sauce while they were smoking.

IMG_0015.jpg

After 3 hours it's time for some apple juice and a foiling.

IMG_0017.jpg

Out of the foil and gave them the first basting of sauce.

IMG_0018.jpg

Total cook time was 4 1/2 hours @ around 250.

IMG_0025.jpg

Pretty nice bite through.

IMG_0029.jpg

Last but not least the wife made some home made mashed potatoes and salad to go with it.

IMG_0032-1.jpg

And Happy Birthday J.T.!

sparky

BS Comp Ribs

BS Comp Ribs (Bo/Sparky)

i want to wish mr trigg a very happy b'day. are ya still 49 years old like me? these BS ribs are for you sir.

drumcompribs001.jpg

drumcompribs011.jpg

ya, i got secrets too.

drumcompribs028.jpg

everyone in the pool!

drumcompribs035.jpg

the last 3 cooks i have had a hard time w/ temp management on Bo. i made a phone call to get some help. welp, i got it. perfect BS rib temp now.

drumcompribs039.jpg

drumcompribs070.jpg

i mixed 4 ingredients together. 2 were liquid.

drumcompribs073.jpg

let the magic begin.

drumcompribs108.jpg

time for some FL.

drumcompribs111.jpg

coming out of happy time.

drumcompribs133.jpg

cont'

sparky

cont'

you get the idea.

drumcompribs123.jpg

drumcompribs158.jpg

they look good.

drumcompribs177.jpg

drumcompribs187.jpg

box time.

drumcompribs194.jpg

be kind. i have never but a box together before. i see alot of mistakes myself but all in all. not bad for my 1st comp box.

drumcompribs209.jpg

for the judges to have a bite on.

drumcompribs222.jpg

and the winner of the 2020 American Royal who also had a perfect 180 score on ribs is......

drumming2017.jpg

squirtthecat

Brother, can you Spare a bite?

3 STL spares, membranes zipped off, and rubbed up with Chicken Rub #5. (a Jan's Rub derivative)

IMGP2329.JPG

IMGP2330.JPG

In the Traeger at 245-ish°. They are pretty fatty, so I'll flip them part way through the cook to render some of that out.

IMGP2332.JPG

I'll trim off the flaps for tasters, and the racks are for the guy taking care of MIL's property.

--

3 hour mark. Time to spritz.

IMGP2334.JPG

--

Time to mix up some glaze.

IMGP2336.JPG

This guy got done early.

IMGP2337.JPG

Foiled and resting in my Samsbro.

IMGP2342.JPG

My Sentry is more interested in the neighbor's squirrels than the subject at hand.

IMGP2345.JPG

The stragglers are coming along nicely.

IMGP2349.JPG

We'll call them done.

IMGP2351.JPG

Everyone is now wrapped and resting. I'll chill them overnight and then vacuum seal tomorrow.

The end trimmings I sampled were mighty tasty. I think this 'chicken' rub will work nicely.

68sting

I did St Louis ribs. First rack was smoked with the AMNTS and the second rack is being smoked with out as we speak. I'm curious to taste difference. The first rack was outstanding.

Picture449.jpg

Picture450.jpg

Picture451.jpg

Deb

Happy Birthday Johnny! I hope you had a wonderful birthday.

ribs, huh, not really what was in my weekend plans but I can adapt :)

Been a busy weekend, yesterday had stuff that needed to be done in the morning, knew I had to kayak today. So needed to think ahead to tonight's dinner, needed something that was going to be quick.... yesterday was cool so it seemed like a good day to make some pasta sauce.... ribs - ahhh, I saw a post on serious eats awhile ago - Grilled sunday gravy.....

so here goes.........

a bunch of tomatoes onto the MAK, s&p & evoo drizzed on, on smoke for a bit, ramp up the temp and let them get nice and roasty
photo-122.jpg

the meats..... made some meatballs, rolled up some beef for braciole (bread crumbs, lots of parm, garlic &I, hot italian sausage and the ribs (just salt & pepper on the ribs)

been playing with the weber some (still haven't really figured it out) - the meats onto the weber just to brown, a handful of oak pellets
photo-120-2.jpg

photo-121-1.jpg

Some onions, evoo into a pan, then some garlic, some herbs, add a can of tomato paste. Skinned and then hand crushed the tomatoes into the pot for the pasta sauce base
photo-123.jpg

cut up the ribs into single pieces then into the pot, added the sausage and let simmer for a few hours, added the braciole and meatballs for awhile

photo-126.jpg

into the fridge overnight

today.... beautiful day, little windy, could see Long Island, bit of a parking problem :eek:
photo-121-2.jpg

IMGP0035.jpg

to be continued

Deb

cooked some rigatoni until almost done , drained off most of the water and added some of the sauce into the pot, finished off with the sauce....

pasta with rib sauce :) , couple of meatballs, sausage, couple slices of the braciole and the rib sauce . grated some parmesan over the top, roasted garlic ciabatta grilled on the MAK
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Pappymn

Pappy Ribs

Used hoisin, molasses, and mustard for glue. Used money and Obie cue mixed. Cooked Sparky style at 250 degrees. Total time was 4.5 hours. Tender and juicy, but not fall off the bone, though I did push it a little.

ehutejyp.jpg

9y5amemu.jpg

saruhaze.jpg

muebe

Infuser Beef Short Ribs and Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops

The players...

IMAG2555.jpg

Sea Scallops dusted with BP's Desert Gold seasoning...

IMAG2556.jpg

Then dressed with bacon and more Desert Gold...

IMAG2557.jpg

Now the Beef Short Ribs wrapped in bacon and dusted with Soileau's...

IMAG2558.jpg

Now I filled the bottom of the Char-Broil infuser with Maple Pellets...

IMAG2559.jpg

Then the bottom grate is installed...

IMAG2560.jpg

I then installed the optional grate upside down...

IMAG2562.jpg

Now the scallops on top of that...

IMAG2563.jpg

continued...

muebe

And finally for the lid...

IMAG2564.jpg

I then put the infuser on my Char-Broil RED side burner and turned the burner on high...

IMAG2565.jpg

IMAG2566.jpg

About 10 minutes later I got smoke coming out and I hear sizzling...

IMAG2572.jpg

After 30 minutes I lift the lid...

IMAG2573.jpg

Then the upside down grate...

IMAG2574.jpg

Fired up the Memphis with the flame zone insert and gave them a sear. The scallops went on the top rack to finish the bacon and the short ribs got a treatment of Texas Rib Candy Mango Habanero...

IMAG2575.jpg

Everyone come inside...

IMAG2576.jpg

Plated with some Red Romaine Lettuce with shredded Parmesan Cheese and Marie's Chipotle Ranch Dressing...

IMAG2579.jpg

continued...

muebe

Close up shots...

IMAG2580.jpg

IMAG2581.jpg

IMAG2577.jpg

IMAG2578.jpg

Well Happy Birthday Johnny or should I say Mr.Trigg;

Your legendary way of doing ribs is something I truly dig;

So have a great one on your special day;

And cook some ribs your very special way!

Happy Birthday Johnny!

Your's truly

Mike

Patrick_CT

MAK vs Drum on Babybacks

Wife told me we had company coming (plan for 10 adults and 6 kids for dinner.. ok ribs works for that) I was going to use the MAK but she said she liked the drum ones last time.. tough decisions had to be make... so I did 2 racks on each using everything exactly the same.

Seasoned with Smoking guns hot and some LL w/pepper
IMG_1142.jpg

Put 2 on the drum runing at 225 (with some hickory pellets in the mix.
IMG_1144.jpg

2 hours in and added the chicken legs. Marinated with some salad dressing and garlic dude dust for a few hours. (love the leg rack..)
IMG_1146.jpg

Also one of the friends is a vegetarian and gluten free... so I seasoned tofu with steak seasoning (double secret) and in the smoker box for an hour. Cubed it and mixed with tomatoes and fresh basil. Stuffed in a sweet pepper and onto a new rack that has never touched meat (nice challenges.... gotta love freinds!)
IMG_1148.jpg

Foiled the ribs and put the twice baked potatoes on the top rack (no pictures of them.. too busy with all the people and kids running around.) They had cream cheese sour cream, sharp cheese, dude dust and the potatoes mixed in and stuffed back inside with some bacon.
Out of the MAK, out of the foil to set for 15min:
IMG_1149.jpg

Out of the foil on the drum and chicken done:
IMG_1150.jpg

Plated:
IMG_1153.jpg

We were split with who liked the ribs from each.. it was pretty funny. An awesome night with friends and food!

Happy birthday Mr. Trigg! I hope I can pass down the knowledge that I have learned from your cooking to the next generation of master BBQ'ers

fishingbouchman

Ribs on the Bone.

Daughter has been wanting some ribs on the bone and BP doing a Johnny Trig B-day contest, I am in.

I was not sure about the 2nd rib so I just separated a few ribs. But both got a little sprinkle.
IMG_0005.JPG

Found this while I was in the Netherlands. Might as well give it a go. Does say Netherlands Best so it has to be good.
IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

they are looking pretty good so far
IMG_0008.JPG

For Sparky, hope Johnny likes it this way. Had to stick with what works for my daughter.
IMG_0009.JPG

Looking even better.
IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

Here are the ones with Netherlands best. Look good pretty enough to eat.
IMG_0013.JPG

yep they were a hit. Sparky style were very good. Netherlands best were good but a little dry. I did enjoyed the sweat chilly and will be giving it a 2nd go.

Salmonsmoker

Baby Back Ribs with garlic mash, garden fresh carrots and salad

Three babies, the top one with gunpowder/hasty bake, middle with Plowboys Bovine Gold, the bottom one with Money/Head Country Championship rub.
001.jpg

On to the UDS with a good handful of apple pellets for some smoke love.
003.jpg

We're lookin' good...
008.jpg

Foiled for an hour then back on the grill for some Bulldog sauce for the last half hour.
013.jpg

All sliced up and ready for the crowd.
014.jpg

Plated ribs with garlic mashed potatos, garden fresh carrots with a nutmeg honey butter glaze, garden fresh salad with ground cherries and tomatoes.
015.jpg

On to the dessert.....
This is called "Magic Peach Dessert" with Peche Lambic infused creme fraiche.
It starts out with a custard dish turned upside down in the center of the pie plate.
002.jpg

Skinned, sliced peaches fill the pie plate with a dusting of cinnamon. Melted currant jelly is poured over the peaches and then coverd with shortcake dough rolled and tucked to the inner edges of the pie plate.
004.jpg

Out of the oven for a very short rest.
005.jpg

Then a platter is placed over the pie plate and quickly inverted. The pie plate's still in place. Wait! What's that? The once empty custard cup is full of juice. Hey, I know magic when I see it!
006.jpg

Cont'd...

Last edited:

Salmonsmoker

Cont'd....

With the pie plates removed and the custard dish full of drizzling sauce.
007.jpg

I started the creme fraiche the day before so it would be ready, then mixed in half a bottle of Peche Lambic.
017.jpg

The finish! The light tartness of the creme fraiche infused with the peach lambic was a refreshing compliment to the natural sweetness of the peaches.
018.jpg

Thanks for looking!

FLBentRider

This is so easy.. NOT

We are off to SeaWorld early this AM for a day trip, so here we go. I wanted to get it done this AM instead of late this evening. I also wanted to do a summary and comments on each but have already run out of time.

Third - Muebe

Second - Chili Head

First - Sparky

muebe

Congrats Sparky! The rib king ;)

And nice job Chili! Great plating and nice ribs!

Thanks Bent for judging and have a great trip at Sea World.

Thank you BP and happy birthday Johnny!

Top Bottom