Learning Curve?

Vision

I've had 5 cooks on a new mak 1 star, 4 turned out fantastic, including a pork shoulder that spent 21 hours on the pit. But yesterday a brisket cook did not go well.

The plan was simple. 15lb (pre trimmed weight) high choice packer, 4 hours in smoke, then up to 275f until probe tender. I've had successful 275f unwrapped brisket cooks on a wsm. But something went very wrong yesterday and the ends and sides turned into inedible fat rendered cardboard. I could see the ends (flat and point) getting overcooked but I kept going focused on the center. The bottom (fat cap side) also took a lot of heat.

I'm thinking over what went wrong. I believe I cooked at too low of a temp for too long. 4 hours in the smoke and then 275f put too much heat for too long on the ends and by the time the heat did it's job in the middle the ends were ruined. Also, the drip tray seemed to radiate more heat than expected and did the same kind of damage to the bottom.

I know the pit temp was right and that the heat is even.

Am curious about others experience. A 10lb pork shoulder that spent 2hr in smoke and 15hrs at 225f turned out great.

KJRsmoker

I have a 2 Star. I cook my brisket at an hour per pound (no wrapping) at 225. Wrap in foil then let rest for a few hours. I've done 3 briskets so far and all have turned out great. They get plenty of smoke flavor and have not been dry at all.

Vision

The problem may have been heat from the drip pan. I'm wondering if using an upper rack would have produced a successful cook.

mcschlotz

KJR,

It would be interesting to learn a bit more. Average size of brisket? Full packer with point attached? Was it injected? Do you know what the flat IT was when wrapped and put to rest?

I agree that upper shelf seems to work a bit better, at least for the ones I've done.

MAK DADDY

I've had 5 cooks on a new mak 1 star, 4 turned out fantastic, including a pork shoulder that spent 21 hours on the pit. But yesterday a brisket cook did not go well.

The plan was simple. 15lb (pre trimmed weight) high choice packer, 4 hours in smoke, then up to 275f until probe tender.

Not sure if 275 is a typo but that would be way too hot for Brisket, try 225 with foil on the drip pan to temper the radiating heat (and catch grease).

KJRsmoker

KJR,

It would be interesting to learn a bit more. Average size of brisket? Full packer with point attached? Was it injected? Do you know what the flat IT was when wrapped and put to rest?

I agree that upper shelf seems to work a bit better, at least for the ones I've done.

I bought a full prime packer at Costco and cooked it whole. Trimmed the fat, seasoned it, and then put it on the MAK for 15 hours at 225 F. FTC for 3 hours then sliced. No idea what the internal temperature was when I foiled it and I did not inject it.

Last edited:

scooter

I cook EVERYTHING on the upper rack. Get your meat as far from the heat source as possible. I also foil briskets at around 160F internal then continue until around 200F internal then begin probing for tenderness (Not temp or time) pulling when probe goes in with little effort.
A wise BBQ man I know once said you're an experienced brisket cook after about 100 brisket cooks. :)

Vision

Thanks all, after a day of reflection I believe it was the heat coming from the drip pan. Will order the second grate.

Macdaddy, 275f is the perfect temp and I do 325f every now and again.

KJRsmoker

Well I'm guessing that's because a brisket isn't as thick as a pork shoulder. I've cooked 3 briskets the same way and they've all turned out fantastic. When I cook my pork shoulders at 225, I cook unwrapped until IT of 165 then double wrap in foil until IT of 195. Wrap with a towel and into a cooler for a few hours.

Big Poppa

Administrator
arguing cook temps is a right of passage It was the 4 hours in smoke and add up the time you had an unprotected piece of meat in a dry sauna ....it dried out...I always cook on the shelf....

Top Bottom