Less greasy chicken wings?

Koolranch

Can any one suggest how to cook or prepare chicken wings so they are less greasy? Short if removing the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koolranch

So smoking them is out, or do you add smoking as the last step. I current smoke for 30-60 min and the turn the heat up to max to finish.

squirtthecat

What did Alton Brown do once? I think he steamed them to render the fat out, then put them in the oven to roast. Might be able to steam, them smoke/roast on the Pellet Pusher..

Sounds like lot of work, though.

FLBentRider

The reason he steamed them instead of putting them in the oven raw was the smoke from the rendering fat. I figured that would not be a problem on the MAK.

Koolranch

I'm thinking of smoking for a few hours than flash frying them. I smoked and then finished on high last time and they came out very greasy. Maybe it's my costco wings. I think that frying them at 375 may render some of the fat out. Am I wrong?

ACW3

KR,
I just bought a couple of pounds of wings to cook on my MAK for dinner tonight. They are full wings, and average about three to a pound. They are not real big, but they are meaty. I am going to smoke them for an hour and a-half to two hours and then bump the temps to high to finish. I'm thinking about using pecan pellets. I'll post a report (w/pictures, of course) later.

Art

Grumpy

I'd do a hybrid of Alton Brown's method... he steamed them to render some of the fat and it works fine that way. Just put 'em on your smoker instead on in the oven like he did. Fairly painless method.

Koolranch

I have Traeger lil tex elite. I ended up
smoking for 1.5 hours than cranked to max to finish. The turned out great but greasy! It very well may be the brand of wings im using. I enjoyed them.

ae6ebc95-2dad-5f32.jpg

ae6ebc95-2dd0-7e4b.jpg

Koolranch

KR,
I just bought a couple of pounds of wings to cook on my MAK for dinner tonight. They are full wings, and average about three to a pound. They are not real big, but they are meaty. I am going to smoke them for an hour and a-half to two hours and then bump the temps to high to finish. I'm thinking about using pecan pellets. I'll post a report (w/pictures, of course) later.

Art

Looking forward to it Art. How's is your wife doing? I hope she is feeling better. Let us know what brand of wings you are using.

FLBentRider

I have Traeger lil tex elite. I ended up
smoking for 1.5 hours than cranked to max to finish. The turned out great but greasy! It very well may be the brand of wings im using. I enjoyed them.

How hot is your lil tex elite on max?

The recipe that I used as a base called for 10 minutes of steaming and then 20 minutes per side @425F. I ended up with about 25-30 minutes per side @425F on the MAK. The skin was nice and crispy.

If your traeger does not get that hot you may need to finish them on your (other?) grill or the oven, but the oven may create some unwanted smoke in the house from the chicken fat that you are trying to render out.

I did not try the steaming for 2 reasons.

1. I had 84 wings to cook.

2. I wanted to do the whole cook on the MAK.

RickB

What did Alton Brown do once? I think he steamed them to render the fat out, then put them in the oven to roast. Might be able to steam, them smoke/roast on the Pellet Pusher..

Sounds like lot of work, though.

Yea i saw that show. But as you say alot of work. Crank the mak to high and let the good times roll!

Koolranch

FLBentRider-
"I ended up with about 25-30 minutes per side @425F on the MAK. The skin was nice and crispy."

Well that's probably part of my problem. It can get upwards of 400 when the ambient temp is nice and warm. It was in the 40's so the temp maxed out at 330. Also I never flipped them. Now that maybe why more grease is not rendered. Do most of you flip them mid cook?

ACW3

KR,
The wife is doing fantastic! We see the doctor tomorrow. She should be transitioning to a cane after tomorrow, according to her physical therapist.

The wings come from the Case Farms company store here in town. Fresh really makes a difference. Didn't get to cook them afterall. I forgot about Halloween being tonight. Got kind of busy. I am on for tomorrow night, however. I'll try again.

Art

Top Bottom