Little Black Flakes All Over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorCalQ

So today, I was cleaning out the MAK2 and saw black flakes all over the inside of the grill. It looks like the inside was painted and that the paint burned and flaked off...but it's not painted. I can only assume that it's the smoke seasoning that is burning and flaking off. In my Primo, the seasoning is more greasy, so it never flakes.
Anyone else get this? What do I do about it?

omahajs

Yes, it's from the smoke and cooking process. Every couple of cleanings I use a wide plastic "putty knife" (flexible) and just gently scrape off, then vacuum. This after everything is taken out of pit.

I tried a ball of foil to clean, but like the plastic scraper better.

RickB

So today, I was cleaning out the MAK2 and saw black flakes all over the inside of the grill. It looks like the inside was painted and that the paint burned and flaked off...but it's not painted. I can only assume that it's the smoke seasoning that is burning and flaking off. In my Primo, the seasoning is more greasy, so it never flakes.

Coming from the inside of the hood. About every 4 months i take the hood off and give it a good scrubbing. Easy to take off and easier to clean well.

omahajs

NorCalQ,

It happens on my MAK2 most often after several long cooks and usually starts with a few flakes falling on my cook. As soon as I see that, I do the scraping next cleaning and all is good.

Scrape sides and hood when you do it, vacuum and keep on smokin.

sparky

Should I brush/scape off only when the flakes appear or on a regular basis, before the flakes?

if you see the flakes brush them off w/ a shop brush. just a little common sense. very easy. you asked alot of questions. thats good. its the only way to learn. specially since you just got a new grill. you just got to cook more w/ it. your get use to it. oh, you were asking about bite threw chicken. there is a thread in the hall of fame section that talks about bite threw chicken skin. check it out. one more thng. i also don't like seeing this one the other forum (from you)(alot of us belong to alot of forums here).

"OK...I'm sure I'd get flamed on another forum for asking this or at least get "stupid question" comments".

we have given ya alot of good information about your new grill. if your going to bad mouth us at least to it to our faces. not cool buddy. :p

if this is out of line or offends anyone plz delete it. just speaking my mind.

NorCalQ

if you see the flakes brush them off w/ a shop brush. just a little common sense. very easy. you asked alot of questions. thats good. its the only way to learn. specially since you just got a new grill. you just got to cook more w/ it. your get use to it. oh, you were asking about bite threw chicken. there is a thread in the hall of fame section that talks about bite threw chicken skin. check it out. one more thng. i also don't like seeing this one the other forum (from you)(alot of us belong to alot of forums here).

"OK...I'm sure I'd get flamed on another forum for asking this or at least get "stupid question" comments".

we have given ya alot of good information about your new grill. if your going to bad mouth us at least to it to our faces. not cool buddy. :p

if this is out of line or offends anyone plz delete it. just speaking my mind.

Sparky,
If you read that thread, you'd know that I was in no way bad mouthing any of the members here. Like yourself, the members here have been nothing but helpful and patient with me, even when I have asked stupid questions.

Scallywag

Dude you bought a bbq not a space shuttle.. Relax.. sit back and cook and learn your pit! I am in customer service and I pray that I never get someone like you. Have a beer.. cook and enjoy instead of analyzing every little thing. I don't recall seeing many pics of your cooks either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom