Looking for Pulled Pork help

I am looking for a way to get more of the great flavor from the outside of a pork shoulder on the inside. I love the bark, but it seems the deeper into the shoulder you go the less of that taste is there.
Should I brine or marinate the shoulder? Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

HTS

TentHunter

Greg, I love the bark flavor too. And if that's what you're after, then what you need is not a brine or marinade, but more bark.

There's an easy solution. I like to cut the butts in half to create more surface area. More surface area = better smoke penetration and more bark.
JDPORK01.JPG

I also love to foil and catch the juices that mingle with the seasonings on the bark, and then mix those in with the meat after I pull it.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Cliff

Last edited:

dnew

Injecting does take practice and sometimes is difficult but you can infuse additional taste in pork butts and brisket by injecting. I think brining chicken work better than injection though. Like most, I have tried different methods to get to the taste profile that I like and many times when I get there, I become unsatisfied and go looking for another way. All part of the fun of smoking.

Top Bottom