Mad Scientist

SmokinMAK

Living in close proximity to MAK has its advantages. MD gets some wild ideas, and sometimes he gives me a shout to test them out.

I've recently been testing his new drip pans with the redirected airflow. Instead of having the 1/2" zone around the edge where the heat comes up, these new pans redirect the air inward. Along with this new "collar" for lack of a better word, is a full width flame zone and a new blank pan. Here is a pic of the full width flame zone. I like it so much, it never comes off now unless I have a smoke to do!
IMG_0950.jpg

OK, back to the mad scientist part. One of the other parts I have, is a new heat diffuser. MD thought it would be interesting if I slapped a steak on the gril without the pan, so I obliged him (any excuse to eat a nice steak).
IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

Nice sear, carmelization, and not overcooked in the slightest! This was one tasty piece of beef (thanks to the BPDSSR). While this was an interesting experiment, I am finding I am getting the same results using the full width flame zone pan, so that is what I am sticking with.

jimsbarbecue

The flame zone with two MAK sear grates. We also have that same setup, Works great, I agree that the steaks are good cook over the full size flame zone. Grills some good veggies too.

SmokinMAK

Since I grill far more than I smoke (time constraints), this is the typical configuration for my 2 Star these days. Great searing and flexibility to grill larger meals.

As for the veggies - I never touch them. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom