MAK 1 Cooking Space

TentHunter

Yes, with no problem. With the upper rack, you could do two!

This was a 15 lb in our older 1 Star, which is not even as big as the new 1 Stars. The newer 1 Stars (which I now have) have even more room.
tbQX0ffAexhoDauxJ7qI9hAQTxQ0FSBOECzNozEolMFoZGJT3bXMVAk-VHT6BMhNkRTdFWCo6IG_IQhi3XRzEFVb4_TUkyTYxkrCRw9swXSqC2TIM3azBWp0o_7TNp68UKuG9nFoWvX9vmf6UB-SIYBfMgtk1gEF_OdNPBw1AoVKE0ObaJcMd7EW-8gXFzAAuLmpEn_iTl3lGFMtqBx2OOuIxBm3_IXmFQoqAgbXF11v2ovxIQU7eJI2fbfAKQ69lFgrJyEiHvBzp4VR2AeBSYqZWxSEroxdg6JX6B7FwsglMltfA6Z8a1sbFNrS5mqzXDK0BNerVkka_YUcll5RMQowRzcLSMUuIbZ3vnBO5AHo-Jwy82EUy36xfqMPAsNzR5dfbuTEw-JCY37cqwgeVretdY6ZiI_BSoXlMI8ZWGgHPueWjH9nWfO1SQAMZboS30C8aUzaSm5dEN4s9LAit3ygKZhEst5iDGez2SDlVDOsviB4yW2h2YSVHPyVd0LdLQC5cDFUIdmfmQ_S7FSd1b5FSFxtcJYVfPOiK1IZJxYwMyHHle5LIuBvjPNC_cY8ECaNNVrFuhl8zO_xC_TyI5bWB80T5zcr71TRwYM=w804-h600-no

Here's 60 lbs of pork shoulders loaded in our older 1 Star.
36jLt-L-90ffo7UOI0Di2TtCf0TjPAGZ9PQPIdhbaEcaLbguUAClmpTBbW2zZ4WiZuUrO76RMAGIXjl9z91iOhgUrVhDQ719zNThw5RTOC45Uuz89Qe4f3wbWeuINGv-lJOLGyKlGiL9em9C2uqOSsObyEGEbGupDa3Yryz_W3QPBTJut5Md_ewbPDwsoZZnMh5aQqmLhjjF77dXAe2-jlM85SjxesxGtn9mqE1PLAGO_5Dlddbu_jK9kv8B6EzPDmHECzajsc0c3YZUTsVoaowFhKe1I2hcOmtU04UFxaBdsyXbi3-049I0t-zJMryEppbBxDPeefyibllvRAGX7g4hd52BaORDpSveErNTWyr7SYyIAQB6D9PeyIv4AyMgzpMTngBijF7OZGhmhTTXrMIIN_zfbjnwxNJkQif85qWYq-oTNz-2yHc4H-6glZGuQ-3ltE50F1JeoTkeQhND3ye-XjcKMXZi5OEsVPTwqI-IBLsagAeq-VEsTp1gqnlmvXUYYTWBxUDLpdLXCVWaKSNjRWdkJpmaT9cgVKE4WkmplhzQGbTlHyPMaxQCyV2d4I_OdbSP_ge3Qud8JnYxy2DGijS_NskgoDL-DZoh0nbB2lXTfz2Ap7OKcLAgeg3uUJf6Deh4MeK1SSOMxVesY8JG7zvkMg8x=w740-h555-no

Because of the lid design not being barrel shaped, with the upper rack, the 1 Stars can hold a lot of food! You will not be disappointed with a MAK!

KevinS

TentHunter, when you are not loading up the grill for Butts, Briskets and Ribs do you tend to use the top rack or lower rack? I ask because I'm thinking about buying a 1 Star and trying to decide to go with a full top rack or 3/4 top rack.

GoodRevrnd

I just got mine so haven't cooked much yet, but if you're smoking I think it makes more sense to fill up the top rack first to maximize smoke exposure, increase distance from radiant heat, and have a spot for a drip pan if needed. That said, I have the full top rack and doing anything on the bottom rack is a pita with it installed.

Now, if you get the full rack can you not just install it on the bottom and use the half bottom rack on the top if you need room to work on the lower grate during a cook?

MAK DADDY

Now, if you get the full rack can you not just install it on the bottom and use the half bottom rack on the top if you need room to work on the lower grate during a cook?

If you have the flame zone Kit (or the 2 Star Grill), if not then the bottom racks are split vertically on the 1 Star so they will not work on the upper level.

TentHunter

I normally use the bottom rack if not filling the grill up.

I know the 3/4 upper rack is now their most popular seller, but I don't think I'd have been happy with the 3/4 rack; We use the full upper rack way too often. We also have a half rack and it hardly ever gets used.

And getting to the back of the bottom grate, while the full upper rack is in, has rarely been an issue for us.
Normally when we need the upper rack it's because something large is taking up the bottom rack.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :p

Hope this makes sense and answers your question.

Top Bottom