MAK 1 Star General #651 - 2014 Model Improvements

TentHunter

I'd been eyeing the improvements to the MAK 1 Star, after talking with MAK-Daddy, who said he could use some serious field testing, we decided to go ahead and give it a go. This also meant finding a new home for our original 1 Star. Fortunately a good friend has been wanting one, so we struck a deal and he is the proud owner of MAK 1 Star #171.

One big plus (for us at any rate) is the $900+ in add-ons/accessories we'd purchased over the past three years for the original 1 Star still fit and work with the new one. These include: 2 upper half racks, Griddle & Split Grate, FlameZone, Searing Grate, 4" casters, Side & Bottom Shelves.

We received the new grill last Thursday, but with all the rain we've had lately, the yard had finally dried out enough this past Wednesday to get this new grill put together.

We got the grill unpacked, parts laid out and parts checked.
2014MAK2.JPG

The first thing I noticed was the difference in packaging & assembly. The new 1 Stars take up less room during shipping, which I am sure saves on shipping costs which have soared the past few years. This approach allows a person's money to go into production rather than shipping. Nice move MAK Grills! :)

Talk about a class act; MAK even includes a set of Allen wrenches, and not some cheap Chinese set either... Made in America baby!
2014MAK8.JPG

Here is the grill assembled with the optional 4" Casters. Boy it sure is pretty!
2014MAK3.JPG

The next thing to notice is the grease drain systems has been totally re-designed. The grease bucket is gone and in its place is a pull-out Grease/Ash drawer. The drawer is designed to accept a disposable aluminum mini-loaf pan for easy grease/ash clean-out.
2014MAK4.JPG

Inside, you'll find a removable stainless steel grease shield and ash clean-out cover.
These will make cleaning the grease chute and sweeping out the ash an easy task.
2014MAK5.JPG

Grease Drain Details
GREASFLW.JPG

Another improvement is the smoke vent baffle is now easily removable to make cleaning the rear vents much easier.
2014MAK7.JPG

The new 1 Star also features the latest Pellet Boss & firmware.
2014MAK9.JPG

My initial thoughts? These improvements show why a MAK is worth every penny spent. They are always on the cutting edge looking for ways to improve. Knowing how happy I was with our original 1 Star, these improvements can only make our MAK experience even better!

I can't wait to get cooking on this.

Last edited:

Darwin00537

Nice TH! I like all of the upgrades. I'm kinda wondering why my 2 month old 2014 Mak 2 doesn't have that grease/ash drawer. Seems like a very nice feature.

And with your $900 in pre existing accessories that still work... that really takes some of the edge off re-buying into the Mak world. Very nicely done on Mak's part.

jimsbarbecue

Mak One Star Beta Unit

I like the new planned features for the one star. removable legs are nice as is the grease tray clean out. I like how that is dual purpose. I notice the grease channel where the grease shield attaches could be a different design too which is real nice improvement.
Waiting until now to put it together! Was it raining in the living room?
Ever wonder if MAK Daddy's ever stops thinking about improvements on these grills?
I think the answer is no. It is nice how extras you purchased for you older one star fit on the new one. Now get Cooking.

TentHunter

Darwin00537 said:
I'm kinda wondering why my 2 month old 2014 Mak 2 doesn't have that grease/ash drawer.

Doesn't the 2 Star have an ash clean-out door already? Slide it open and sweep the ash into a bucket (I believe).

Waiting until now to put it together! Was it raining in the living room?

No, but dragging a wet box into the living room might have caused a hail storm... with the wife! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

Nice TH! I like all of the upgrades. I'm kinda wondering why my 2 month old 2014 Mak 2 doesn't have that grease/ash drawer. Seems like a very nice feature. QUOTE]

We plan on adding this (or something similar) to the 2 Star in 2015, lots of testing still to be done for that model to change.

jimsbarbecue

We plan on adding this (or something similar) to the 2 Star in 2015, lots of testing still to be done for that model to change.

I can see how that could be hard because what you have is so darn good. In order to change it has to be better.

Seahawks

Recently ordered the One Star through BP and unfortunately they are on back order. Is the two to three week shipping estimate accurate? Back order due to the new model's release?

Thanks

Salmonsmoker

Recently ordered the One Star through BP and unfortunately they are on back order. Is the two to three week shipping estimate accurate? Back order due to the new model's release?

Thanks

I think the name Seahawks is already taken.- By the Superbowl winners! :) Welcome to the forum, you lucky dog! Hoping to order a 2-star before summer.

TentHunter

Thanks

Not sure. Matt, Big poppa or MAK Daddy can probably answer that one. But, I will say congrats, and when you get it you are going to love it!

And like Salmonsmoker said, welcome to the forum!

Top Bottom