Mak 2 star Full Flame Zone / blank grease pan question

Chris_B

I'm about to order a Mak 2 star (from Big Pappa) and don't quite understand what I'll get . Do the current grills come with the full flame zone and then covers (full or 2 half) for low and slow?

thanks,

Chris

Chris_B

Thanks. That is what I'm trying to confirm. Also, are the two half covers as effective as the full blank grease pan? I suppose that foiling them well will keep grease out but I wanted to get some owner feedback.

SoDakSmokerGolfer

Chris... I have a MAK 2 star with the full flame zone and two half covers. I have had no issues smoking with the two covers. There is a full drip pan you can get to replace the flame zone, which I thought about getting at one point but now I think the two covers works just fine.

As for foiling.... I put foil on mine at first then gave up on it... But I am back to foiling now. I would recommend putting about 3 layers of foil on each cover. This way you can just peel one layer off and keep cooking.

BudGarrison

I just got my conversion to the full flame zone last week. I have cooked on it 4 or 5 times both in direct and indirect heat mode. I think the covers will be fine for smoking but I haven't done a long smoke yet. I do not foil my grease pans, I did on my traeger and for a while when I got the MAK, but eventually I got lazy and decided not to foil. Now I take a wire brush to the drip trays occasionally but decided to live with the dirty looking drip[ tray.

RickB

Chris I find the covers to be a bit of a pain to deal with. I bought the full blank also. It's very easy to foil. If you like to keep a clean grill it's highly recommended.

TentHunter

I do pretty much the same as RickB (except I don't always foil the blank pan). I think the blank pan is a little better than the using the covers. It's easy and quick to change out from on drip pan to the other.

Scrapmanson

I just got mak 2 and have the split cover as well, I was thinking about getting the full grease pan but when I looked on BP says its retro fit for models older? Also my 2 half upper racks don't seem to sit right, kinda wobbly any suggestions. I know they are supposed to just sit on top of the grates so doesn't seem to be that complicated..... Lol

dnew

I use both but the full cover mostly because it is easier to keep clean. I use the split cover at times when I know I want to use high heat for reverse searing an item I smoked or doing steaks (usually use grill grates). The single cover is easier to manage from a cleaniness standpoint because it is easier to foil. I guess I like the stainless clean, or as clean as I can get it.

MAK DADDY

I just got mak 2 and have the split cover as well, I was thinking about getting the full grease pan but when I looked on BP says its retro fit for models older? Also my 2 half upper racks don't seem to sit right, kinda wobbly any suggestions. I know they are supposed to just sit on top of the grates so doesn't seem to be that complicated..... Lol

The Blank grease pan is not for older models, it fits the 2012+ models like you have.
Upper racks are made of stainless wire so yes they just sit on the grates and can move a little, they will also move from heat and weight. Just sit them in place and cook away, nothing will ever hurt them :)

Bolizar

Has anybody heard of an ETA when MAK will again be producing the conversion kit on the older 2 star for the full flame zone.

JD McGee

I have used both...no difference in performance on overnight/long smokes. The flame zone covers clean up easily...but the dimples on the pan are a pain.
I prefer the solid pan though...less maintenance...just scrape and smoke!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom