Mak 2 Star Retro Fit Temperature Test

ht01us

I'm supposed to be working on organizing my blog posting from our trip to South Africa. I got a little distracted today. I got a retro fit for my Mak 2 Star. I've heard that the temp runs a little higher with the change so I ran a test, putting Maverick smoker probes in the center of the upper and lower racks while running it at different temps. Here is a snap shot of my log.

Mak+2+Star+Retrofit+Temp+Test.jpg.jpg

I'm not a math or statistics whiz so don't know how meaningful this it; no food on the grill, just temps. My take away is that the bottom rack is pretty dang close to the PB while the top rack definitely runs a bit hotter. I'll take this into account, and lower the set point when using the top rack.

If you'd like the spreadsheet, send me a PM and I'll send it along.

sparky

these are my readings.

buttsribs047-1.jpg

ribstuff050.jpg

4thpics079.jpg

4thpics071.jpg

4thpics074.jpg

temps taken every 1/2 hour. i'm getting pretty even temps top to bottom.

So Cal Smoker

My Retro runs about 28* hotter on the top grate also which makes cooking with the top and bottom at the same time difficult at best. Sparky, I'm glad you got a Retro that cooks as intended. I did notice that your probes were way left of center. I don't know if that is the difference or not. Would love to know why yours is spot on and ours is 28* off. Anybody have an answer?

Last edited:

airbornewilly

Gotcha. I guess we need to test it with a laser surface thermometer to determine how far its off when set to "high". If I end up buying the retro fit kit I will give it a shot and post my results.

MAK DADDY

We don't compensate for the difference of other areas around the pit we simply read the temp from the TC in it's location and display it on the screen. The displayed temp is an average over a minutes time to keep the temp from bouncing all over the place, if you want to view the "live" temp you can switch it over in the maintenance screen. The TC in the MAK is extremely accurate, just remember we display in 5 degree increments so take that into consideration when testing. Temps will change based on cleanliness of the pit, foiling the pan, amount of food in the cooker, temperature of food, exhaust air flow etc. that doesn't mean the TC reads a different temp than actual, it reads what it actually is in its location.

We are constantly improving the products as well and keep striving for perfection so we are taking all the feedback and applying it to different configurations. Stay tuned for more improvements :)

Top Bottom