MAK Grills Mobile Hiccup

sptucker

My first hiccup using MAK Grills Mobile. Any other MGM users seen this?

Night before last I was grilling some salmon, running a simple program, monitoring it on my iPad. I had Probe 1 alarm set for 130 degrees.

Everything was looking great, probe temp was going up about a degree every couple minutes on display. Then it stopped at 128 degrees and didn't move. Timers were still running. No indication of connection loss. I stepped outside after an anxious several minutes and my Pellet Boss said Probe 1 = 140 (I validated this with Thermapen). iPad still said 128. WIFI signal 100%. Refresh of webpage caused no change to displayed temp.

Pulled the salmon with no harm done, but Ugh, what happened? This could spell doom for some poor piece of meat if I'm not paying attention...

In short, nothing wrong with probe or Pellet Boss. Connection was seemingly never lost. Program was still running, but probe data was not updating even with webpage refresh. No indication that anything was amiss.

All I can think of is that the probe data was either delayed getting to my iPad and would have eventually shown up correctly, or it was just dropped altogether. Perhaps an understanding of the path the probe data has to take will explain this, i.e. does it go like this (simplified, obviously):

grill -> router -> internet -> makgrillsmobile -> internet -> router -> iPad?

If so, then our poor probe data is at the mercy of Skynet, so to speak, and could get randomly delayed/dropped for any number of reasons on it's way to or from MGM. For longer cooks this may not be an issue, of course, as there is more margin for error. But, does this mean I gotta avoid MAK grills mobile on shorter cooks? :(

BTW, the salmon was still delicious like everything else I've made on the magic MAK.

Paul

MAK DADDY

There is a 15 minute timer for the website and the grill for lost connection, the website will appear normal until it times out or reconnects and updates all the info from the grill. This timer is to allow ample time for lost connections to reconnect without disrupting everything. We used to have it set for 5 minutes but extended it on the last update to give those with intermittent signals a little more time.
In your case the grill would have either just caught back up to the probe temperature when the connection was back or timed out after 15 minutes.

sptucker

Thanks Bob!

That makes sense. My hiccup didn't last 15 minutes, so I never got to the point where it timed out. Is there anything I can do in this case, or do I just need to go check the PB on shorter cooks? Maybe give us a timeout adjustment knob on the website, or maybe an alarm if the connection is lost without doing a timeout until the 15 minutes is up?

I rarely lose internet, so hopefully this was just a fluke...

Paul

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

No problem happy to help :)
On shorter cooks like grilling the salmon you might just double check once in a while. The WiFi is really designed for controlling & monitoring longer cooks, cooking programs, graphs etc.

sptucker

No problem happy to help :)
On shorter cooks like grilling the salmon you might just double check once in a while. The WiFi is really designed for controlling & monitoring longer cooks, cooking programs, graphs etc.

Understood, and for that it is truly a wonderful (and fun) tool.

Thanks for making the ultimate grill. I really could not be happier!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Once again...Where do you get the owner of your favorite grill company answering your questions and issues directly and so fast? Thanks Bob

Top Bottom