MAK Meat Probe with handheld thermometer

PongoX11

Hey everyone. Been a great first few months with my MAK 1-Star! Think I've smoked something almost every week since I bought it! NFL Season + Set It and Forget It is a dangerous combination.

Anyhow, when smoking on the 1-Star and searing on the gas grill I'd like to be able to continue monitoring the temperature without pulling the probe.

Do you know if any handheld thermometers work with the M3 meat probe?

Thanks!

rwalters

I do not believe it will. I would discourage you from using a meat probe on a screaming hot grill. Recipe for probe failure. They don't typically survive past about 450°ish degrees.

MAK DADDY

The best handheld instant read probes I have found is the Thermapen. Once you have one you will use it constantly like your MAK :)

PongoX11

Thats a great point, rwalters; now that I think of it, BPS warns of this on their site

Thanks MAK, I'll check that one out

sptucker

Another vote for Thermapen.

They also make a cheaper one called Thermapop that has a backlight. Seems to be just a tad slower than the pen, but same readings. I tend to grab it more when it's dark out, for obvious reasons.

onionhead

Another vote for Thermapen.

They also make a cheaper one called Thermapop that has a backlight. Seems to be just a tad slower than the pen, but same readings. I tend to grab it more when it's dark out, for obvious reasons.
For whatever reason, I held off getting a Thermapen, and then the Mark 4 Thermapen came out. I bought one, and have used it a lot. It is really good!

Top Bottom