Mak Start Up

Carter13

I have read the manual and it looks like you just set your temp with the lid closed and wait for it to get there.
Starting up my Traeger they called for it to be set on smoke with the lid open for 10 minutes before setting the temp.
So am I correct with the start up of the Mak? I just want to make sure I am doing it right.
Thanks in advance.

Carter13

Thanks Chili I appreciate your quick reply as I am about to cook some panko shrimp from Costco. :)
BTW I did a search and found nothing. I broke in the grill yesterday doing pork candy and a rack of ribs.
I love how this grill holds the temp. No more crazy 30+ swings to deal with. Yes I am spoiled now and it feels oh so good.

Last edited:

Carter13

I went out about 5 minutes after starting the set point at 400 and the grill was billowing smoke and read a word and the #45.
I panicked and don't remember what the word was. I am guessing the auger was putting the pellets in faster than the hot rod could get them burning. I am thinking smoke or 225 might be a better temp to start out with for a few minutes.

Chili Head

Sounds like that's exactly what happened. Mine has done that once as well but quit after a minute or two.
Certainly nothing wrong with starting on smoke to get it going and then ramping up. I've seen it billow smoke going from a high temp and low as well.

squirtthecat

Somebody say smoke? This is my 1 Star just idling..

IMGP3085.JPG

RickB

Somebody say smoke? This is my 1 Star just idling..

IMGP3085.JPG

Nice smoke there Squirt! Reminds me of the warming area on my 2 star. ;)

Sorry couldnt help myself. Those 1 stars do put out the smoke. Im thinking about Puting in a damper to close off the warming area on my 2 star. Hate to waste all that smoke.

Carter13

Nice smoke there Squirt! Reminds me of the warming area on my 2 star. ;)

Sorry couldnt help myself. Those 1 stars do put out the smoke. Im thinking about Puting in a damper to close off the warming area on my 2 star. Hate to waste all that smoke.

This is exactly what swayed me to the 1 Star. It puts out 30% more smoke according to Mak Grills.
It really does smoke like a choo choo train. Last night it was smoking like Rips video which made me think I had a fire upon first sight.

Rip

wow rip.. what was the flame from?

Let me stress, this is fairly rare behavior! The buildup of smoke coupled with an infusion of air allowed the built up energy to flash. Most of the time I'm not ramping down the temp to such a large degree, and even when I do, it's rare to generate this much much smoke. This is the only time I've seen it flash like this!

jimsbarbecue

Lift the lid about a 1/2 to 0ne inch. Count to 10 then open the lid. After doing this awhile it becomes second nature. I started when using my Webers.

bbqslayer

I don't have a MAK. I haven't ever seen my grill do anything close to this. Anyone else ever have this happen? I can't belive it's enough to have to worry about burping your pellet grill before opening.

Top Bottom