MAK Wifi

PongoX11

Bought the Wifi! ...but cant seem to connect it.

First I have a 2013 Built 1-Star #629, should it work with the wifi as is? Firmware has not been updated.

If so, the error I get is:
"WEB CTRL
CHK SSID"

I cleared the SSID and Passphrase, re-enter, try again, no luck. Adapting computer "skills" to my grill, I go simple stupid: power down and unplug to restart; upon restarting all Wifi settings have reverted back to default! Repeated with the same results.

Thank for the help!
Andrew

onionhead

Andrew, I would suggest you contact Matt at MAK. He is pretty good at helping in the IT stuff. Matt helped me get mine set up and it is working fine. It is easy to use!

SmokinKat

Hey Andrew-- Onionhead's got it right, just give Matt here a call 503-623-1234 and he'll get you set up.

And yes, your grill should work just fine with the wi-fi without any firmware upgrades. The error you're getting is just letting you know that the SSID entered on the Pellet Boss isn't matching the one on your network-- if you give Matt a call he can help see what the issue might be.

scooter

When you enter your SSID into your 1 Star make sure you pay attention to upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols, it's important to match your wireless network SSID exactly on your 1 Star. When entered correctly push the star or set button to "save" it. If you don't do that step it will revert to the MAK default.
Now enter your passphrase or WEP Key and hit the star or set button again and you should be good to go.
Matt will get you WiFi'ing in no time at all!

PongoX11

Thanks everyone, I have an email out to MAK. Figured I'd start here in case anyone else had a similar issue.

SSID and Passphrase were entered exactly as shown in my network settings (all uppercase SSID, etc). My phone has a hotspot, and the grill woldnt connect to that network either.

Also, I was sure to save the SSID/Passphrase by hitting the star key after entering them; I could leave the network setting menu and return and the info was still there. Once the grill was powered down and fired back up, all network info was back to default

PongoX11

Well don't mind me, dont know if this was really the problem, but I changed my network name to all lower case letter and it connected! Woowoo!

SmokeMaster

I'm having a lot of difficulty configuring my wifi on a new 1 Star. I repeatedly received the "WEB CTRL / CHK SSID" error message so I searched this forum & came across this thread. I created a new wifi network & password. Both are 1 word and are all CAPS with no lowercase, numbers or special characters but I still receive the error.

I called MAK & was told that I need to speak to a certain person (it may have been Matt... I can't recall his name). I was transferred to his voice mail. His outgoing message said that he'd be out until Monday (I assume that meant today - Monday 7/18/16) so I left a message. So far its been 3 1/2 hours & no call back. I'd like to resolve this today while I have time as I return to work tomorrow after being off for 2 weeks.

I'm trying to connect to a wifi network that is driven by an Apple AirPort using WPA2 Personal security. My network does not have a WEP key so I've left all of the zeros on that setting. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

SmokeMaster

I'm having a lot of difficulty configuring my wifi on a new 1 Star. I repeatedly received the "WEB CTRL / CHK SSID" error message so I searched this forum & came across this thread. I created a new wifi network & password. Both are 1 word and are all CAPS with no lowercase, numbers or special characters but I still receive the error.

I called MAK & was told that I need to speak to a certain person (it may have been Matt... I can't recall his name). I was transferred to his voice mail. His outgoing message said that he'd be out until Monday (I assume that meant today - Monday 7/18/16) so I left a message. So far its been 3 1/2 hours & no call back. I'd like to resolve this today while I have time as I return to work tomorrow after being off for 2 weeks.

I'm trying to connect to a wifi network that is driven by an Apple AirPort using WPA2 Personal security. My network does not have a WEP key so I've left all of the zeros on that setting. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

UPDATE - I just received a call from Matt who walked me through the setup process. He was very patient & thorough and with his help, I got my wifi up & running. It just so happens that I'm in the middle of my very first cook on my new MAK (bacon) & everything is now working beautifully! I'm going to smoke some beef short ribs next!

Thanks MAK & Matt!

scooter

That's great news! Please tell us what the issue was so the next person with the same problem searching for the answer can benefit from your answer.

Goosehunter51

I am having issues connecting with my new 2 Star as well. Matt has been extremely helpful in the process. Mine goes all the way to Web Control on but will not let me register the grill at MAK mobile. I sent MAK some information they requested, I am hoping they got it. Again, very helpful and pleasant. Great customer support as everyone has always stated.

frankan9

Thanks
I'm having the same issue except my 2 star is connecting perfectly then disconnecting about 15 minutes later giving me the CHK SSID error message.I've even moved the grill to within 25 ft of the apple router. I'm starting to rethink my need for wifi..

frankan9

Talked to Matt and he seems to be very helpful, but I need to be at the grill while he is on duty ,unfortunately I would have to take off work to make that happen.I'm going to try again this friday.

frankan9

1 year later problem still not resolved . I've come to believe that MAK Wi-Fi is just not compatible with Verizon fios. I've given up after many calls to Verizon and quite a few calls with Matt and Dennis. I'm glad for and jealous of those who actually got it working properly.Unfortunately I can't imagine that I would ever trust mak wifi with a long /overnight cook.
I still love my 2 star general without the wifi.

TentHunter

Frankan9, This is going to sound strange, but give this a try: Set your WiFi router passphrase to 13 characters. Not at least 13, but 13 exactly (no spaces), and see if it helps.

Also make sure there are no spaces in the router SSID name.

Years ago at the computer shop we learned that for some reason the algorithms used for WiFi security are more compatible with more devices using a 13 character passphrase.

Adding a second router setup as a repeater, closer to your MAK, may also help with this.

frankan9

Frankan9, This is going to sound strange, but give this a try: Set your WiFi router passphrase to 13 characters. Not at least 13, but 13 exactly (no spaces), and see if it helps.

Also make sure there are no spaces in the router SSID name.

Years ago at the computer shop we learned that for some reason the algorithms used for WiFi security are more compatible with more devices using a 13 character passphrase.

Adding a second router setup as a repeater, closer to your MAK, may also help with this.

Well after a whole year of failed attempts it seems like this may be the solution. I'm still testing , but hopefully this is it.

Thank you
I'll let you know the results

Top Bottom