MAKin' Bacon

nolesfan954

I got myself a nice pork belly last night to try making bacon for the first time. The method I'll be using calls for a week of curing before smoking on the MAK. A couple of questions have come to this neophyte's mind:
Is is possible to over-cure the belly? I'd like to get started while the belly is nice and fresh, but I won't be able to smoke it until next Saturday--7/30. Should I wait until this weekend to start the curing?
Secondly, I love the sweet taste of maple in my bacon. Can I inject the belly with maple syrup, and if so, do I do it while it's curing or wait until I get ready to smoke it?
Thanks for your help--I'm really looking forward to this new adventure!
Richard

squirtthecat

Ok, I thought I replied to this... One more time.

Yes, start this Saturday. 6 days is all you need. Freeze it until then.

Add maple syrup w/ the cure so it soaks in while the water from the belly is drawn out by the cure.

I put mine in 2 gallon ziplock bags, then place in a casserole dish - 'just in case' the seal fails. (it will happen sooner or later, and you'll avoid a horrible mess in your fridge)

Flip it over every day and massage the cure/syrup in.

Have fun!

squirtthecat

I've done a few on the MAK/Traeger. I smoke them at 200° to an IT of 150°. Wrap tight in plastic wrap and give it a night in the fridge to get happy. They turn out great every time.

bflodan

Make sure you post as you go...Ive been wanting to do the same thing...Im interested on how it comes out...Ive cured pork shoulders and they have come out fantastic!!

SmokeyDan

I've done hundreds of these through the years all on offset smokers but it should go good on the MAK...

...it's practically impossible to cure these things too long --- as a youngster I watched my family slow smoke bacon in curing sacks for 2 or three months. My rule of thumb is a week to 10 days per inch (I make a lot of bacon using pork butts). I inject with grade a dark premium maple diluted 50%, apply the cure and in the fridge. Prior to going on the smoker I soak it in cold water for 30-60 minutes and do another inject of maple at 3-1 ratio (water to syrup), rub it down with a preferred taste enhancement (garlic, pepper or brown sugar). It goes on my smoker at 200* til an internal of 135-140, let it cool, wrap it and in the fridge overnight. This firms it up and makes it easier to go on my meat slicer. Goooood stuff......

Top Bottom