Maverick or iGrill

jettman96

So looking for a wireless meat and grill thermometer that won't cost an arm and a leg. Looking for opinions on the Maverick and the iGrill or comparable products.

I just read some not so great reviews about the iGrill that leave me a little concerned.

Thanks,
Jett

TentHunter

I have had the Maverick ET-732 for 2 years now and absolutely love it.

It has a great range and is very easy on batteries.

You can use 1 food probe and 1 pit probe or 2 food probes, so when you order one, order a second food probe as well ($15 from the BPS store).

Best of all, the maverick is NOT tied to a phone.

The hardest part of using them is setting the alarms. Keep the instructions handy, and even that's no problem.

Big Poppa's price is hard to beat too, because he includes shipping.

SisInLaw

Man, I need to get one of those. I was buying them at Bed Bath and Beyond and they break like it's their job!

dnew

I would say probably not but if you cook multiple meats, you may need more. I use my Thermapen, time and touch more than I use the probes. I cooked 4 butts over the 4th and only used one probe as an indicator but I cook low and slow on my butts and do not foil.

Last edited:

TrickyDick

Probably a dumb question, but would I need a Maverick in addition to the multiple probes on the 4 Star?

Probably not, unless you're MeatMan (I forget the exact count, but I think it was 6 slabs ribs, 4 briskets, and 12 butts at once).

The benefit of the Maverick is the portable monitor (until the wifi controller is complete on the 4 star), and also, that you can use it for other things; cooking on the Tuscan grill, indoor ovens, offsite BBQs, etc.

TD

TentHunter

Probably a dumb question, but would I need a Maverick in addition to the multiple probes on the 4 Star?

It depends on what you like and what you have.

If you have the WiFi or RemoteBoss with your MAK, then the Maverick is pretty much not needed.

If you're using the PelletBoss programing, then you have to use the MAk Probes.

If you don't have the MAK WiFi or RemoteBoss, and aren't using the PelletBoss programs, then the Maverick is an inexpensive way to be able to monitor your meat temps remotely.

jettman96

Got my Maverick earlier this week. Tested it out on some chicken breast this evening and going to use it on a couple of Boston Butts tomorrow. The controls take a little getting used to but overall I really like it!

jimsbarbecue

Yes and here is why. If your cooking Pork butts brisket etc that you wrap in foil. That can be done in the oven if need be to finish. The Maverick will come in handy there. If you do a roast, it was mentioned in another thread by Scooter to place it on the counter when it gets to temp and not cut it until the temp goes down, you would use the Maverick in this scenario. When defrosting a frozen piece of meat in a ice chest full of water, carefully put the tip in the water and monitor the temp remotely with a alarm set at 40º.When you have it you will find more uses for it. Do we use ours daily? No, when it is needed I am glad we have it.

Top Bottom