Mediocre Beef Brisket

LarryF

I did a 10 LB beef brisket today. I injected and rubbed it the night before. Set it to smoke for two hours and then bumped up to 250. When it hit 140 IT(around 4 hours) I double foiled it until it hit 200. I pulled it and wrapped in towels per the BP method.
It has a nice smoke ring. It is tender. The bark sucks though. I think I either foiled it to early, or had a not so good seal on my foil.
Any suggestions for next time?

MusicJunkie

Foil will keep your brisket from drying out, but it also will create a 'steam trap' of sorts, moistening everything with the trapped juices.
I usually smoke the brisket, the wrap it to keep it from drying out during the ole 'low and slow' cook...

Then take it out of the foil and put it back on the heat for 15-30 minutes to dry the surface and bark it up a little.

Buffalotom

You might try wrapping with butcher paper. The steam will somewhat escape leaving the bark there. I second taking it out of the foil and putting it back on for a while.

LarryF

I think I might let it go a little longer and then try throwing it back on to dry out more. Thanks guys.

TentHunter

You get a third vote here for taking it out of the foil and putting it back on a high heat to re-crust the bark.

I usually separate the point & flat after foiling. I'll apply more rub that contains a good amount of Brown Sugar to all surfaces of the flat and put it back on a relatively high heat for 20 - 30 minutes to caramelize & finish the bark. It's not as developed as a bark that's not been foiled, but it's still pretty good.

Keep going Larry, You'll get it right for you and your taste, and when you do you'll be able to repeat it. If your son liked it, you must be on the right track.

TrickyDick

I am no expert here,as I have only ever made one in my life.
However, I received high praises from my mother in law who grew in Missouri, and they ate brisket at least once every 1-2 weeks. She said mine was the best she ever ate.
I tried to follow the method and recipe as outlined in Myron Mixon's book smokin. I couldn't hit the temps in my retired crummy electric smoker.

I did not foil mine, but did it in a large roasting pan which collected the juices. I rested/held mine in a preheated oven instead of wrapping in towels like it said to do (Next time I have one of those pizza delivery bags they use to keep pizza hot) but was probably too hot.

I had pretty good bark except for the bottom and about a 1/4" up was submerged in its own juices which prevented any bark there.
Tender and juicy results.

I might try the foil then re-bark method sometime.

TD

Top Bottom