Mesquite

SmokinMAK

OK, a subject near and dear to my heart. Ended-up walking the piers in San Francisco yesterday, drooling at the smell of mesquite fires burning in many of the restaurants. If I'm out looking for a restaurant and one of them is burning mesquite - that is where I will be eating.

The problem I've found, is that none of the mesquite pellets I have tried come close to the smell of what I smell at these restaurants. I've tried every brand that had a mesquite option - from blends to 100% flavorwood pellets.

I understand that the sawdust used for pellets is kiln dried. I wonder if the lack of moisture is affecting the smell/flavor?

Has anyone found a pellet or solution that gives them this smell on their pellet grill?

Thanks.

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ajstrider

Hmm, I would have thought that 100% flavorwood would have done it for you. You sure you got 100% flavorwood, sometimes the labeling is tricky, if it is a big bag of pellets, it is not all flavorwood. Pure flavorwood pellets can only be found in small bags to my knowledge.

scooter

I think the problem you may be having is that what your smelling from those restaurants is not just the smoke from the fire but the collective aroma of all the steaks and chops etc they're cooking over it and from the ovens. Every aroma from a kitchen gets vented outside. It's a combination of aromas that you may be attributing solely to the wood.
To further complicate the matter, you can't count out the possibility that you're receiving aromas from multiple restaurants at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving

Last edited:

Meat Man

If they are cooking over open pits, you'll get the added flavor of the dripping on the hot coals. Personally I didn't care for mesquite pellets until, I tried the BBQr's Delight mesquite. Hey try a drum.

SmokinMAK

Well, heading to Kauai for Xmas vacation, leaving my 2-star lonely in the deck. Packed some BD Hickory and Mesquite pellets, as well as 4 of my favorite BPS rubs. Not sure what I'll be grilling on yet, but it will have pellet smoke and BPS rubs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooter

Soooooo jealous!! Love Kauai and Haena area in particular on the north side! Where are you staying? Take LOTS of pics!

SmokinMAK

Hi Scooter. We'll be in a condo in Poipu, but we have 10 days, so we'll be all over the island. I particularly like snorkeling with the sea turtles at Ke'e beach (roads end by NaPali(.

Not sure what I'll have to grill on yet, please forgive me if I have to resort to using a gasser...

scooter

Ahhhh, Poipu! The sunny south side! The beach house we used to rent was only 2 miles from Ke'e beach so I know the beach well. The house was on Tunnels beach. So beautiful!
Helicopter rides along the volcanic spires and blue water of the Napali coastline are absolutely breathtaking! insanely jealous my brother, insanely jealous! :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
It figures someone from oregon goes to Kauai...heheheh too much rain everytime I went there...

OK all of you guessed wrong instead of my pal Meat...Most mesquite restaurants are cooking with mesquite charcoal not wood....way different aroma and it is the combo of the meat dripping onto the hotter than oak charcoal fire.

SmokinMAK

Hi gang. Yep, they got a couple Weber Genesis gassers. Spatchcock chicken with Money (don't leave home without it). Foil pack with BD mesquite. Came out great!

Tomorrow is ribeyes with DSSR and maybe some Louie's (yea, brought those too).

He he.

SmokinMAK

Hey Big Poppa - picking up some fresh Ahi today at the Koloa fish market. Probably get some Mahi Mahi later this week. Picked-up some local rubs to try (Salty Wahine) at a local farmers market.

It is ironic that while cooking on the gasser last night, I wore my BPS "Friend don't let friends cook with gas" shirt.

If only they had a MAK here ( sigh).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom