mobile cooking

TrickyDick

Hey everyone,

I've got two kids. They are at the age where my life is semi-consumed with their sports activities. My oldest is in Volleyball. There are frequent weekend-long "tournaments" to attend. Often boring, especially in-between games, etc. I'm sure many of you with children can relate. My youngest is just getting started in sports too so I expect this to be my lot in life for the next 6 - 8 years. Its not entirely un-enjoyable, but could be made better by a little distraction such as ... cooking! Many of the venues do not permit outside food or coolers to be brought in, hoping that you'll buy horrendous food prepared in microwaves, etc from their concessions operations. Some places are OK others are downright disgusting. Its not that I don't mind contributing to their operational expenses. The food is simply gross and probably not the healthiest option, which is important for me since I'm getting older and health problems begin to arise.

At any rate, I've started to investigate how I might bring along some gear to cook in a parking lot or on a tailgate without much access to water/sink or significant electricity. I do have an inverter built into my center console of my truck, but its fairly low wattage I believe, and might drain batter if I used for prolonged times. I don't really want to mess with disposal and transport of spent charcoal or ashes, and there could be ordinances potentially about where I can build a fire. I suspect this fairly narrows my options to small portable propane grills. Hasty Bake has a small portable grill, but I suspect that it is not intended to operate on a tailgate, and would still leave issues with hot charcoal to dispose of, fire hazard (would need an extinguisher - but I do have one already so..), cool-off time, etc.

I thought I would post a thread about what my options are and for those of you who do competition cooking and know the ins-and-outs about mobile cooking could lend some insight. Initially I think just bringing a cooler with pre-prepped condiments, and cold side dishes along with burgers/steaks/chicken breasts/sausages/hot-dogs and other standard grilling fare, plus a portable propane grill to cook with, would fit the bill. I know technically this isn't really a pellet cooking topic, but I suppose I could set a foil-pack of pellets into the propane grill to lend some flavor...

Other potential accessories might include small crock-pot style cookers (small ones are 100W that I own) or even a mobile immersion sous-vide style heater/recirculator (mine is 1050 watts though which exceeds my truck's built in inverter wattage of 150W however).

Any suggestions?

TD

dc1956

Actually I think you have come to exactly the right place. Pellet grills are some of the most versatile pieces of outdoor cooking equipment you can buy. You can Smoke low and slow. You can Grill hot and fast and you can use it as an oven for things like pizzas, pies, casseroles or cobblers. Since the fuel is wood with very little ash the only electricity you are using is for the blower and controller which your inverter should be able to handle easily. I believe MAK is rolling out a portable pellet grill in the next few months. I hope this helps.

Dave

smilinphil

I've been an RV traveler for years and recently got a GMG Davy Crockett, replacing my Traeger that just barely fit in the outside compartment. The GMG is nice from a portability perspective and it was cheap enough that throwing it away if needed won't be a problem. Can't wait for the portable MAK that has been in the design phase for a long enough time to assure it will be a winner. I suspect there won't be many objections to that comment, eh?!?!

TentHunter

I am looking forward to the portable MAK as well.

If you need something right away, and have a Weber Kettle, then you should look into the Stoven pellet grill attachment. I've had one for almost 4 years and still love it. It comes with a 12v cigarette lighter adapter and is a miser on power. You can run it for an entire weekend without any significant drain on your battery.

I did a write-up back in 2011: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet-smoking-com-lounge-9/stoven-review-2105/

I still use mine as a backup grill when I need extra cooking space, or when I need portability.

One thing I like is that you can leave the fan running which cools the grill down relatively quickly for transporting back home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom