my continued search for the best pellet grill for me

dpom

I want to start by thanking the BP team for this site, and i am definitely purchasing the one I have chosen from them.But would like to share parts of my journey.Like i've posted before,about 12 yrs. ago I went to a home show and saw my first pellet grill. I was amazed and decided this was beyond my wildest thoughts on blogqing . I continued telling people about them but never saw or heard of one .till a couple of months ago I went to a home show in Auburn. They had louisiana grills. I was very happy. That started my search that lead me to this great site. Last friday the wife and me went to Auburn , the address we received at the show. There was a sign on the door that read We're on vacation from july 7th till july 22nd. Which might be fair being I was only there to kick the tires. We went today to a hardware/patio furniture store in sac. They had the new traegers, louisiana grills. Then at last on the end was a memphis grill. finally one I could touch and kick the tires.It was a great talk with the sales lady, who said since they started carrying them, it was hard to keep them in the store. I told her about this wonderful web site,and the link to Bp.Although I still haven't kicked the tires on the mac 2, I can appreciate the people that like the Memphis.Also sometimes you think customer service is a given.Thank you BP For a free great site,Great prices and excellent customer service.

dpom

BP you'll definitely get the sale. It will most likely be a Mac 2, but I still haven't completely ruled out the memphis. It was the memphis pro and the memphis elite both carts.The things I'm liking better on the mac 2 so far is the ability for 3 probes, and the warming drawer for cold smoking cheese. But I'm open to all discussion over the two.

muebe

I have a Memphis and absolutely love it. I would 100% buy one again if I had the choice to do it over. I am sure that if I owned a MAK I am sure I would feel the same way about it too.

jimsbarbecue

A quality pellet grill is a nice thing to have . The Pellet Boss on the MAK would be the one feature that MAKes it special. From it three probes to programable probes with the pellet boss. Here is a cook I have used. Smoke one hour,increase temp to 425 until meat probe 1 reaches 165 then reduce temp to 200, then when probe 1 reaches 180 sound the alarm. The entire cook happens then with no user input until the alarm goes off. I don't use the program part all the time, but when we do it is a life saver

dpom

Thanks for the reply. I see there are many that use both the mem. and mac. and both post great pictures of food they have cooked. If it didn't say which they were cooked on I would never know.The people that use both are very knowledgable about cooking and pellet grills.Are there any plusses to the Memphis that can't be done on the Mac?

Kite

I understand your stress dpom, but really I think you are just beating your head against the wall. I own a Memphis and would buy the exact same grill again in a heart beat. And I know the MAK people feel exactly the same way. Both cook in very much the same way. Just make yourself a "T" sheet (take a sheet of paper and draw a huge "T" on it. Put one grill at the top on the left side and the other on the right side. Then list the benefits of each grill below the appropriate name. Then at the bottom list any draw backs from each grill.) Then look at your list and the decision should be fairly simple based on which features are more important to *you*.

Here are some ideas to get you started (NOT an exhaustive list by any means, just the list that I made when I made my decision)

Memphis (Pro) - double wall construction all the way around the grill for better temp retention, gasket on hood for better seal, enclosed cabinet, simple programming and use, all stainless steel, more economical with pellets (based on someone elses testing)

MAK - sophisticated programmable controller, warming drawer, flame zone, pellet dump for quick pelleet change (I am sure MAK owners (or MAK Daddy) can add to this list - I learned more once I actually played with my Memphis)

As I said, I am absolutely certain that you will LOVE whichever grill you buy. The key is to actually *buy* one - the fun can't start until you do.

The other thing you could do is just buy one of each... that would solve your problem right there!

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
The Mak has more accessories...great ones too...it's interior smoker dimensions are usable. The Memphis is a little misleading with the stair step shelves. The memphis gets hotter the Mak can smoke cooler. If you want to wear more a Memphis usually gets the nod if you want to smoke more than sear the Mak if all of the features are the same to you

muebe

I don't have experience with the MAK but I can tell you that my Memphis uses such little pellets!

At first I questioned about only having a 12lb hopper. After using it I understand why. I can run it overnight with 12lbs and not worry about running out. My last overnight cook was 16lbs of pork butt and at temps between 225F and 260F for the second half of the smoke after the stall I averaged 0.53lbs per hour on a 14 hour cook. That was with overnight temps in the low 50s.

Pappymn

I don't have experience with the MAK but I can tell you that my Memphis uses such little pellets!

At first I questioned about only having a 12lb hopper. After using it I understand why. I can run it overnight with 12lbs and not worry about running out. My last overnight cook was 16lbs of pork butt and at temps between 225F and 260F for the second half of the smoke after the stall I averaged 0.53lbs per hour on a 14 hour cook. That was with overnight temps in the low 50s.

What type of pellet were you using?

dpom

Thank you to everyone for the valuable input. It unfortunately will be about 2 months before I have the funds. But I received my order of the BPs rub pack and some sauces, so I can start leaning the different spices.Thanks again for everyones input!! I wish I had the funds for both!

TentHunter

It unfortunately will be about 2 months before I have the funds.

Two months is not that far off. Your patience will be rewarded with a premium grill that you will love backed by service that will make you glad you bought it from Big Poppa Smokers!

dpom

It's hard to wait, while watching all the great pictures of everyones cooking but it will go fast with all the research available on this site.I guess if it was easy to choose between the two BP would only carry one of them. But both from what I've read on here,and my personal experience.I'm sure I couldn't pick a better dealer.

Top Bottom