My first Brisket

Virgin popper

Hello all, well we are cooking our very first 10.5 lb Brisket on our Mak 1 Star. Any Great tips would be appreciated. I have already started smoking at 7:00 am this morning at temp 225. Help.

TrickyDick

Don't overcook it.
I'm not an expert here, but I'd say, as with pork, you need to cook to a final target temp of between 195-205 internal temp for pull-apart tenderness. Some folks cook by feel with a thermometer probe serving as a large "toothpick" to detect the tenderness of the meat.
Some folks like to cook on smoke for a while, then bump to 225 and wrap it once it develops the bark they want.
wrapping helps retain moisture during cooking. Some folks spray after the bark has developed to retain moisture. Some folks add a water pan to the grill. If you wrap, do it as tightly as possible. some folks add some liquids to the wrap for flavor and extra moisture. some folks double wrap. once wrapped you can cook in a pan. some folks bump the temp after wrapping.
Lots of way to do it. Some folks remove it from the grill at a specific internal temp, wrap in foil, then place in a towel-lined cooler to rest for a few hours. Some folks might even return to the grill for 30 minutes after resting with a wet rub or sauce to let it tack up before slicing.

Last one I did, I messed it up and over cooked a little bit. I ended up chopping it for sandwich meat with some BBQ sauce and a few veggies (Onion Tomato Jalapeno & bell pepper) to return some moisture. tender but dry. this is not what you want.
BPS has some videos on the Store website that walk you through a few ways you can try.

Can't wait to see it, and welcome to the site!

TD

Top Bottom