My first-ever cook on Memphis Elite

Jaybaer

Did my first-ever smoking last night on my brand-new Memphis Elite. Went aggressive with boneless butt for first cook. Also ended up cooking it during a torrential thunderstorm. It kept its temp perfectly though. Nice!

Delicious! I'd like it to be slightly less stringy though. Is that an undercooking issue, or an overcooking issue? Internal temp was 197, and then rested it for an hour. Thanks!

129478558007131806_Y3iegDBx_f.jpg

129478558007131809_WrJsRmEH_f.jpg

TentHunter

What a way to break it your new cooker! :) It sure looks good!

I'd like it to be slightly less stringy though. Is that an undercooking issue, or an overcooking issue? Internal temp was 197...

If it was still a little tough, then that's an under-cooking issue.

There's an old BBQ saying, "It's not done until it gives up the ghost." In other words, it won't be tender until the fat has rendered and the connective tissue has broken down. This could be as low as 190° or as high as 210°+ depending on many factors.

You'll know for sure when you stick a probe in and you feel no resistance, like its sliding into warm butter.

Either way your bark sure looks good and the smoke ring has a great color too!

Jaybaer

Here's the second cook on the Memphis Elite

Was so motivated by the first cook, I rolled right into a second one.

Did three racks of Southwestern ribs.

Mesquite pellets. Chipotle mustard glue. Mix of southwestern and bark rubs. 2.25 hours at 250. Then, apple juice and brown sugar and foil for 30 minutes at 250. Then sauce of 2 parts Stubb's original, 1 part Stubb's spicy, 1 part jalapeno/blackberry. Up to 450 to set the sauce. That came together faster than I thought, and I burned them a bit. Lesson learned - the Elite jump up from 250-450 degrees FAST.

Turned out great. Just a tad dry due to the overcooking on the sauce set, but everyone (including me) were super excited by how they tasted.

For first rib cook ever, I'll take it!

Interestingly, they were less spicy than I thought they'd be. My assumption is that the low and slow + all the smoke mellows out the flavors over time. More so than I'd figured, so filing that away for next time.

Tonight: Spatchcock chicken.

After foil:
129478558007136642_e2ZxLVYE_f.jpg

Finished product:
129478558007136648_kZxVHULE_f.jpg

Jaybaer

Thanks guys. Here's the spatchcock chicken from yesterday. Amazing! My kids were going crazy over it.

EVOO
BP Desert Gold
Slit skin on breast and thigh and inserted branches of rosemary and sage leaves
30 minutes at 275
1 hour at 325
internal temp of 165

129478558007144925_Q5FStqo6_c.jpg

Top Bottom