My name is Crys and I am a pellet smoker.

Crys

Or at least I will be once my Rec Tec arrives, currently I smoke on a Weber Smokey Mountain. I have been curing and smoking my own buckboard bacon, making jerky and doing roasts. I'm looking forward to the no babysitting of the Rec Tec's temp especially for the jerky making and very interested in making pizzas and such in the new grill.

I am also interested in using the smoking tube to try unusual/expensive woods like orange, mulberry and the Jack Daniels mix. Does anyone have a suggestion about what pellets to use in the hopper when you want the tube to provide the majority of the flavor?

TentHunter

Welcome to the forum, Crys!

If you want to use the tube to produce the flavor smoke, then I'd use straight oak in the hopper.

Enjoy your Rec Tec when you get it and be sure to get some pics to post.

Crys

Welcome to the forum, Crys!

If you want to use the tube to produce the flavor smoke, then I'd use straight oak in the hopper.

Enjoy your Rec Tec when you get it and be sure to get some pics to post.

That is what I gathered after reading in BBQ's Delight Forum, oak seems like the choice when you don't want alot of smoke flavor. Do people usually bake over oak?

TentHunter

At baking temps, the type/flavor of wood becomes less important, because the higher the temp - the less smoke.

Because of that, for higher temps I tend to go with straight oak and use the other flavors for lower temp cooks (165° - 275°) where I can tell more of a difference.

Crys

Rec Tec came in late in the afternoon and I finished getting it put together with the help of a neighbor (definitely couldn't lift that by myself) just before it got dark. Didn't have any chance to cook on it but wow it really does smell like a wood fire when its burning (at least past the initial half of the burn in period). I put in a chicken to marinate all night for Peruvian Chicken and that will be the first thing I cook in it. Going to butterfly it and try the suggestions on seriouseats about how to grill a chicken instead of the regular oven instructions.

Also yes your entirely right TentHunter which I really should have realized myself. From the pricing it might actually be cookingpellets which I can get through Amazon Prime for 30/40lb which might be my go to general pellet vs oak which is actually 45/40lb unless someone knows of a better priced source?

Last edited:
Top Bottom