My name is Tim and I am new to pellet smoking

TBarg

I had and used an 18" Weber Smoky Mountain for probably 10 years, and was happy with it - smoked a lot of meat on it. But I decided to go to a pellet smoker (Mak 1) for the ability set it and forget it. The Weber required some baby sitting that was getting exhausting - especially for the overnight smokes.

I learned about this site after searching for info on smoking brisket on a pellet smoker because I was not satisfied with my first and only attempt at a brisket on the Weber and wanted to learn tips and techniques from those more experienced. My wife has said in the past she didn't like brisket (not the one I did) because it was dry, and I've tasted my share of dry and tough brisket. So I understood.

So, that was my long hello! :)

mcschlotz

Welcome to the forum TBarg!

The link to Malcom's video does show him doing full packer. He didn't trim any of the fat cap so visibility of the point wasn't as obvious. I can't stress enough what he said about the importance of probe testing for doneness, i.e. multiple places throughout the flat yielding little resistance to the probe going in like a knife into warm butter. BTW probing the point will always feel like its done due to the amount of fat contained in it, which is why you probe the flat in order to determine doneness.

Great move on getting the MAK! You will not be dissapointed.

TentHunter

Welcome to the forum!

I can't stress enough what he said about the importance of probe testing for doneness, i.e. multiple places throughout the flat yielding little resistance to the probe going in like a knife into warm butter.

Sound advice! This is also how I check for doneness with not only brisket, but also pork shoulders, ribs, etc. Anything where I'm cooking for tenderness rather than doneness (rare, med-rare, medium, etc.).

Top Bottom