My new pellet grill/infrared smoker

TMB

This has been a fun year but to cap it off I finished my pellet grill I have wanted to do for sometime. There are a few here that know me and know I'm a nut when it comes to infrared cooking, so I thought I'd go one better and build an infrared smoker. Now it's not 100% infrared (still working on that) but it a start and when you see the first cook I believe you will agree.

Tommy
IMG-20121228-00003_zps332d5f5f.jpg

TripleChefSmoker003_zpsc0189f40.jpg

TripleChefSmoker014_zps5dfa0af9.jpg

TripleChefSmoker017_zps8b8ba6a4.jpg

chicken1_zps22eb96f2.jpg

chicken3_zpsf9ed22b2.jpg

TentHunter

Hey Tommy, Good to see you over here.

Nice mod to that double chef. It looks like it puts out plenty of smoke. And gorgeous color on that birdie!

TMB

Thanks, been here for awhile just been holding off on posting. Getting info on how to pellet smoke ;)

Carter13

Love the color of the bird. That is a great setup at an even greater price.
Thanks for the post and keep em coming bud.

TMB

Looks fabulous
Thanks, and to here thing like this makes me feel I did it right (well so far) As soon as I get over the crud I want to do a butt the same way I do them in my infrared SRG's to see how they compare

RickB

Het Tommy could you walk us thru your cooker setup? Trying to wrap my head around the infrared part. Thx

Rick

TMB

Het Tommy could you walk us thru your cooker setup? Trying to wrap my head around the infrared part. Thx

Rick

Sure I'll try. The inner chamber you see inside the smoker body is the same chamber used in one of my infrared cookers. This one came from CharBroil's Smoker, Roaster & Grill Big Easy or as we call it on the other site the SRG.

Infrared is made when you heat the sides of the chamber. Infrared cooks without drying meat, so I know how to use these cookers with gas and wood but wanted to go another route (since Charbroil won't) I'd thought I'd give it a try.

The outside body is nothing more than a Double Chef smoker body but I added a plow disk to the bottom so the pellet burner would'nt burn through the thin chamber. Next there is a bracket to hold the chamber up about 1 in off the disk where heat can surround the chamber and generate infrared.

Now, knowing what I know of infrared this unit is not 100% infrared but it's atleast 65% to 75% and for testing it's good enough for me to see how my idea will work on a larger scale.

I cook 10 lb butts in 5 hrs and even finished 4th over all in comps with it. So if I can control the cooking temp better + add the real wood fire it's a win win plus I get to cook in comps!

Kite

Nice setup and great looking bird. I think I would like to live someplace where there is no snow in Jan.

Does a place like that exist in Canada? Maybe Vancouver island? There could be worse places to live.. I haven't spent a lot of time actually on the island but it sure has some great sailing and destination ports!

TMB

Nice setup and great looking bird. I think I would like to live someplace where there is no snow in Jan.

I love Canada! Been there one time and really liked the town I was in. Now I live in north Alabama (ROLL TIDE) LOL!!!

Anyway, we get snow once in awhile agood one every 5 to 7 years. Now as for being cold, it gets to the teens so I'm not in the warmest of places. Anyway, will be cooking soon I just have to get rid of the crud I have right now.

Top Bottom