My Pork Belly Story...

NorCalQ

So...I must have spent hours on Youtube watching all the how-to vids on pork belly. By the time I was done, I knew I had PB nailed. All I had to do was do it.
Long story short, when I was done, my burnt end pork belly was like burnt shoe leather...it really was terrible.
Cut to this morning... I was at the store picking up some chicken to smoke and there it was, staring up at me...taunting me...so I bought some pork belly to give it a second try, only this time, I decided to do it my way. I just figured I'd do it the way I do most pork. I left the PB in strips. Mustard, rub and in the smoker at 240*.
About 4 hours later, I took a temp and it was 205 to 210 and it probed tender. Took the strips out, wrapped and held in a cooler. About 2 hours later, out they came and I sliced them up into chunks. Now, they may not look as good as the Youtube ends, but man, they sure were good to me. It was like good ribs without the bones.
I'm just so glad I tried them again and I'm glad I ignored my research and just cooked them up for me. Maybe that's what I should always do. Here's a pic...

TentHunter

I love when people share their experiences like this!

The pork belly looks great! Have you tried curing and smoking some into bacon yet?

NorCalQ

I love when people share their experiences like this!

The pork belly looks great! Have you tried curing and smoking some into bacon yet?
Not yet, but finny...I was just thinking about that. I was just happy to get over that epic fail of PB burnt ends. Don't know if you've ever had it, but I just love Chinese roast pork. That's why I had to try PB. Making my own bacon would be fantastic, but I know it's not just a spice and smoke recipe, so I'll have to do my homework. Thanks TentHunter.

TentHunter

Not yet, but finny...I was just thinking about that. I was just happy to get over that epic fail of PB burnt ends. Don't know if you've ever had it, but I just love Chinese roast pork. That's why I had to try PB. Making my own bacon would be fantastic, but I know it's not just a spice and smoke recipe, so I'll have to do my homework. Thanks TentHunter.

You don't need to do too much homework; it's not that hard. My family's favorite bacon is the Cider Mill Bacon recipe I developed. Here's the recipe and step by step instructions: Applewood Smoked Cider Mill Bacon

The brown sugar in that recipe is optional. Since I became diabetic, I've omitted the brown sugar and have found the Cider usually has enough sugar on its own. You can use whatever smoke flavor you want, but I really like the applewood smoke for it. It gives it a really deep smoke flavor.

If you want more info on how the process works, then read my Ham brining 101 thread (in the "Searching for the Cure" section). It's the same wet-cure process, just a different cut of meat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom