Need advise on thermapen !

HogSmoker

I know this subject has been talked about before and I tried too use advance search on this but didn't get anywhere. Question what is the best therm pen out there. I have bought couple but they are cheap and don't last long. Also is digital the best way to go?
Thanks for any suggestions you might have..
H/S

Big Poppa

Administrator
the real deal and I dont sell them...go to amazon....but Pappy Ill bet you that my yellow one is faster!

RickB

the real deal and I dont sell them...go to amazon....but Pappy Ill bet you that my yellow one is faster!

Dont worry about it Pap..the man is getting old and has gone color blind. He really has a red one like all of us that know the truth. ;) ;)

jimsbarbecue

I keep one in the House, one by the BBQ and one in the RV. Go to a comp and at least 90% of the teams have them. I prefer my camo one.

scooter

The Thermapen is the best but is also very expensive at $96. They go on clearance from time to time in the $80's.
Another alternative is DeltaTRAK. I had purchased a half dozen instant read thermometers a few years ago and was going to publish a review on another pellet forum I frequented back then. I purchased the thermometers and did the temp drills logging the data but never published the data. Of the instant reads I tested Thermapen performed the best but a VERY close second was DeltaTRAK. It's very accurate, nearly as fast as the Thermapen. Maybe a second or two slower on reads in boiling water. Nice large display (not as large as thermapen) and it can be calibrated in the field (Thermapen can't do that) and it had a narrowing tip like a Thermapen so you can leave a smaller hole in the meat. The best part is the price which was a fraction of the price of a Thermapen at around $20. They come with a plastic probe cover with a magnet on it so you can hang it off the pit. They can be purchased off eBay.

$T2eC16VHJI!E9qSO8)JJBRU932(Ft!~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

dnew

Thermapen is fast and accurate. I use a brown one and it does the job. If I have to replace it, the replacement will be a Thermapen - color does not matter.

Sir Lamerok

Thermapen is the standard but I have a maverick pro temp that works just fine for half the price and is backlit and uses aaa batteries. If you don't mind spending $96 get the thermapen otherwise you can consider the maverick.

JD McGee

I recommend the super fast green for grillin' and the purple (wine color) for chillin'...or low-n-slow...:cool:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Ducaticraig

Just purchased a Blue Thermapen with a back light. Not sure if it's really needed but will find out soon. As for speed, it's definitely not near as fast as the racing green or black with flames.

Top Bottom