New gas grill to go along with Mak 1

Hawk Lax

Have a MAK 1 star, and my gas grill is on its way out. Looking for recomendations for a new gasser in the 1k to 1500 ball park? Looked at Webber summit and saber, looking for something that will last a while. Thanks all in advance

TentHunter

Do you have your heart set on a new gasser?

If not, may I suggest...

You already have a great cooker; why not add the 1 Star FlameZone, a couple searing grates or GrillGrates and save yourself $500 - $1,000?

The flavor from cooking over the wood fueled flame is awfully hard to beat.
SS%2526S08.JPG

Hawk Lax

Thanks Tent, But need a gasser also, wife prefers ease of gasser and need a second grill for entertaining, burgers, dogs, while using the smoker for the good stuff like tri tip, ribs etc.

Smokinman88

I owned a Weber Summit and loved it! Unfortunately I had to leave it when we moved because it was a NG model but I sure miss it.

Cavedog

I too wanted a gasser for a quick burger or steak and other things. I went with a TEC G-Sport. All 304 stainless and Made In USA like my MAK. It will go low too (240F or so) and drop a few pellets on for some smoke flavor. Check it out, YouTube or TEC website. May be a little more than your budget but I really like mine. Call TEC, sometimes they have a refurb in the shop.

C

Last edited:

wneill20

I have a Weber Genesis Gold and I love it for when you don't have time for the pellet smoker. By the way pick it up on Craigslist used great shape $100. Look around there out there.

scooter

I still have my huge Charbroil gasser from before pellets. Don't use it anymore.
I used my modified 22 Weber kettle for awhile for grilling but in the last 8 months I've found the perfect companion to my 2 Star is a BPS drum!! It smokes and grills exceptionally well.

Last edited:
I have not upgraded my 2 star to the full flame zone YET, so my grilling area is limited. So my wife prefers the Weber Genesis gasser to grill burgers and dogs when the kids invite people over to swim after school or during the summer when I am not home. Really warm here in NorCal right now, and I just got the gasser out for tomorrow for my wife. I am embarrassed. All that said, my MAK does not get as hot as the gasser and burgers take longer to cook. My wife doesn't care for that when she has a bunch of hungary kids. My two cents.

TentHunter

Thanks Tent, But need a gasser also, wife prefers ease of gasser and need a second grill for entertaining, burgers, dogs, while using the smoker for the good stuff like tri tip, ribs etc.

Yep, makes perfect sense. That's why I keep my old Weber kettle in useable shape for extra grilling room when needed.

Quam

I've had a Vermont Castings grill for about 12 years now and I'm still on the same burners. Great grill. I will say it gets used less and less since my wife bought me the Traeger though. :)

So Cal Smoker

Hawk, take a good hard look at the Weber Genesis 330. It's a good fit money wise, made in the USA, and gets hot real fast. Also has one of the best warranty's in the business with great customer service. Good luck and good smoking/grilling.

Hawk Lax

Thanks everyone. Came down to the Saber or Napolean P500rsib. Napolean seemed a little better made and has 1000+ degree sear zone. I will post a quick review after the weekend, was planning to smoke some strube short ribs, maybe do some tri tips instead and do the sear on the gasser.

RemoGaggi

I agree with wneill above. There are usually plenty of old 3 burner Webers on CL. Many of them you can pick up for next to nothing. Just replace the parts that need replacing and you'll have a nice gasser with leftover $$$. A couple summers ago, I ended getting 3-4 of them on CL ranging anywhere from free to $30. I transplanted parts from one to another and ended up with 3 working grills. I gave 2 to family members and keep one for myself. Just be sure to get an old 3 burner model - most all the parts will fit from one to another.

Hawk Lax

Weber recently changed to cheaper 430 stainless steel, less corrosion resistant, thats what turned me away from weber. Saber and napolean both use 304 better non-magnetic stainless. The Napleon I purchased is 4 main burners plus a rear infared burn which can be used with the rotisserie and a separate side burner. I think they are all excellent grills, just comes down to personal preference. I actually liked the genesis 330 better than some of the summit models.

Chili Head

I used my weber genesis tonight to do some burgers while the 2 star is working on some ribs.
It's hard to beat instant heat sometimes.

ctsooner

Hi, first post here I think. I'm looking to get my first pellet smoker and found this site and one other. You may want to look on CL for a used top of the line grill. I got a Lynx 30" infra red burner and rotis on a cabinet with cover for only 1200 delivered via a moving van (it was only 200 for the van to get it to me. They even put it up on my deck. It's 304 steel and polished/welded seems throughout. It is as good as nearly any grill you will see on the market. It will blow away the new Webers any day of the week as it was stated that Weber has started to use the non marine grade SS that will rust eventually. You can also get a tailgate infra red grill for 3-400 made with 304 SS from Solaire that isn't bad at all. The IR burner will let you cook a ton of food in a short time.

I LOVE the TEC grills and always have. I thought they were all Canadian as they used to be, but it's a great company with the best IR technology on the market today. Whomever has that G series is a lucky person ;)....good luck.

ctsooner

Also, the newer VT Casting grills are back in New England after being resold to the original owner or something like that. Much better than the Home Depot grills they were selling for a few years.

Top Bottom