new guy

steve Gunn

Hello all, I have some questions and need some help
We purchased a cabella pellet smoker. We have used a gas barbeque to cook on and replaced with this because we heard such great things. I had concerns because my wife hates barbeque and smoke flavor. thought you could grill like a regular barbeque.
We broke in the cooker and started with mesquite pellets. we cooked some chicken breast and the soke flavor was over powering , could not even taste the marinade. we had to throw a bunch out, very tender done just right but to much smoke.
What pellets are best for chicken, fish, steak without over powering smoke flavor?

TentHunter

First, welcome to the forum!

If you don't like a strong smoke flavor, then I would NOT recommend using mesquite! It is VERY easy to overpower food with mesquite.

Two good all-around pellet choices are straight Oak, or Maple (maple has a nice light sweeter smoke profile). Pecan is a also a good choice for a lighter hickory flavor (pecan is actually a type of hickory, but has a lighter smoke profile).

For chicken: I like apple or cherry best. Apple is still strong enough but not overpowering. Cherry is a much sweeter lighter smoke.

For fish (especially salmon): I really like Apple. Alder is also a good choice.

For Steak: plain old OAK works as well as anything.

For Pork: I like Hickory, or a mix of Apple/Hickory.

Also keep in mind the higher the temperature, the less smoke flavor you will get.

P.S. The Cabelas pellet grill is made by Camp Chef. So, any info about the Camp Chef pellet grill will also relate to your grill.

steve Gunn

Thank you so much, Great info. I am looking forward to learning how my cook with my new grill. I will learn as much as I can from this forum.

Top Bottom