tfries

Hi All,
I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and have learned a lot. I started smoking several years ago on a Little Chief. From that I moved to a Masterbuilt 40" electrical smoker. I was able to work that smoker for many good, small run smokes. It died once and I was able to fix it. When it died again my wife said that I should get a real smoker. When I replaced my gas grill a few years ago, my goal was to buy North America made, which led me to a nice Broil King gas grill that I have now. The same sentiment for a North American made smoker led to to Mak grills. How great is that, American made as well as Oregon made!

I had decided on a Mak 1 star for cost reasons. My local dealer finally had one in stock which I put on hold to pick up on Saturday of this weekend. When we were on the road to pick up the smoker, I mentioned to my wife that the dealer just got two new 2 star units in stock. She said that we should get that one instead! I love that woman :) Anyway, we come home as the proud owners of MAK 2 Star # 2385

Our first smoke was today with a pasture raised turkey that our friend raised. It was about 15 lbs. No brine. Mayo rubbed and seasoned. It turned out really good.

Here's a few picts of today's smoke.

I'm looking forward to participating in the forum.

Cheers,
Tom

The Bird
CRW_9025.jpeg

Spatchcocked
CRW_9030.jpeg

In the MAK
IMG_1887.jpeg

Done :)
IMG_1892.jpeg

Last edited:

So Cal Smoker

Welcome to the forum and MAK family Tom. You're first cook on that new 2 star is one of the best looking birds I've seen. The color is just magnificent and the skin looks crisp and delicious. I hope you will continue to share your cooks with us. Thanks again Tom.

Bill

onionhead

Good looking cook on the first try. Maybe you will be showing us some new ways to cook, too. Your wife must be a gem to say go ahead and get the MAK 2 Star. I look forward to seeing more of your cooks. Take care.

scooter

Welcome to PS.com Tom! And welcome to the MAK family! You did great on your first cook! Now get busy and take lots of pics!

tfries

Thanks everyone for the welcome :) The skin of that turkey was nice and crisp on the wings and thigh. I did not try the skin from the breast. The raw skin in the breast area was quite thick. Probably because it was a pasture raised bird.

We raise sheep and have a good supply of lamb in the freezer. I for see many lamb smokes in our future.

Tom

Top Bottom