New to forum, Hello. Initial question.

Cookie

Dear All:

I am new to this forum...I hope this is the proper spot to post this...

I recently purchased a Traeger. I have been smoking on a traditional smoker for 20+ years...I wanted something that I could walk away from for more than 20 minutes...and smaller batches. I have used it a few times & overall, am satisfied. I added an "amazen" box but still am not getting the penetration I would like. i'm still monkeying around with wrapping, not wrapping, water pam, no water pan...etc. The temp control is sloppy. 225 rarely hits even 220 and spends most of the time closer to 210. So, I went to 250 which ends up at 235-242...Not the end of the world. i'm not giving up. Overall, i'm very satisfied.

Here is my question: Is there a charcoal pellet on the market? In other words, a plain pellet that will generate the heat w/o the smoke flavor.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

TentHunter

First, Welcome to the forum!

Pellet smokers tend to create a lighter smoke profile than other types of smokers, and some pellet smokers do a better job at creating a deeper smoke flavor than others. The A-Maze-N smoker box can help with that.

One word of caution, though: If you plan to use it for cold-smoking the meat BEFORE you turn your grill on, unless the meat has been cured using a nitrate/nitrite curing salt, you need to be VERY CAREFUL and limit the time so you don't cause any problems with botulism.

For uncured meats, I never go longer than 30 minutes, of cold smoke, then I turn the grill on to it's smoke-mode setting. As long as you are in hot smoke mode (temps of 165° - 185°) you are pretty safe to go a couple hours without problems in any weather.

Remember: Hot-Smoke temps are high enough to kill any dangerous bacteria, BUT you still need to limit cold-smoke times so you don't cause botulinum spores to develop which require MUCH HIGHER temps to destroy.

I hope that makes sense.

Now let's talk common sense about whether or not to use a water pan.

This topic is sometimes hotly debated. There is little doubt in my mind that moisture in the pit aids in smoke adherence and penetration. Smoke particulates are carried into the meat through osmosis, and that requires moisture! BUT here's what I think a lot of guys don't think about: The climate and relative humidity where you live makes a difference!

I hotter dessert areas, or in colder Winter climates, when & where the air is dry, it makes sense that a water pan will add humidity to your pit. During Summer, in climates where humidity is high, then a water pan makes little difference. The air can only hold so much water.

That's my 2¢ on the topic, if it's even worth that much! :D

Either way, again, Welcome to the forum!

Cookie

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply & the input. I have not gotten into cold smoking. Until now, I never had the ability. Now that I have the pellet smoker, I can start new things. Incidentally, I should have included in my original post that I wrapped the shoulder...when I smoke on my "regular" smoker, that's fine but I think on the pellet (even with the amaze-n) I should have waited a bit longer...or perhaps not wrap at all.

This weekend my supervisor wants my simple brisket...no smoke. On my regular smoker I can do that with straight charcoal instead of wood. But on the Traeger, as far as I can see, the only fuel is wood. I really like the automation. The thought of tending my other smoker for 15 hours now seems like the dark ages. For a huge meal...lots of people...Yes, but for a single brisket the Traeger spoiled me...

First, Welcome to the forum!

Pellet smokers tend to create a lighter smoke profile than other types of smokers, and some pellet smokers do a better job at creating a deeper smoke flavor than others. The A-Maze-N smoker box can help with that.

One word of caution, though: If you plan to use it for cold-smoking the meat BEFORE you turn your grill on, unless the meat has been cured using a nitrate/nitrite curing salt, you need to be VERY CAREFUL and limit the time so you don't cause any problems with botulism.

For uncured meats, I never go longer than 30 minutes, of cold smoke, then I turn the grill on to it's smoke-mode setting. As long as you are in hot smoke mode (temps of 165° - 185°) you are pretty safe to go a couple hours without problems in any weather.

Remember: Hot-Smoke temps are high enough to kill any dangerous bacteria, BUT you still need to limit cold-smoke times so you don't cause botulinum spores to develop which require MUCH HIGHER temps to destroy.

I hope that makes sense.

Now let's talk common sense about whether or not to use a water pan.

This topic is sometimes hotly debated. There is little doubt in my mind that moisture in the pit aids in smoke adherence and penetration. Smoke particulates are carried into the meat through osmosis, and that requires moisture! BUT here's what I think a lot of guys don't think about: The climate and relative humidity where you live makes a difference!

I hotter dessert areas, or in colder Winter climates, when & where the air is dry, it makes sense that a water pan will add humidity to your pit. During Summer, in climates where humidity is high, then a water pan makes little difference. The air can only hold so much water.

That's my 2¢ on the topic, if it's even worth that much! :D

Either way, again, Welcome to the forum!

Top Bottom