New to Forum. Trying to decide on first Pellet Smoker

Smartz8184

I have been smoking on a Weber Smokey Mountain and a propane water smoker for over 12 years but have been considering a pellet smoker since Traeger was about the only game in town. Finally going to take the plunge but can't decide between a Traeger Lil Tex Elite or the Mak General 2. Would I always regret not going for the Mak? I can afford the Mak2 but would really have to do some heavy convincing of my wife that the Mak is the way to go.
Steve in San Antonio

Kite

Welcome Steve, from the Pacific Northwest!!

Wow, you have quite a spread there - Traeger vs MAK. That is really apples and oranges. Sure, they are both grills and they both cook with pellets, but that is about where it ends. I might suggest you decide which end of the spectrum you are interested in, and then look at the options in that end. There are other inexpensive grills besides the Traeger and there are other high end grills besides the MAK. So you have to ask yourself - is this something you are serious about and do you plan on keeping the unit for a while.

Just my thoughts.. good luck and have fun on your search!!! The one thing I can definitely tell you - I LOVE cooking with pellets! The flavor profiles and the ease of use are unmatched.

Mike

Smartz8184

Kite, reason behind my "spread" is seeing so many posts on this and other forums where people have started out with something like the Traeger and within a couple years then go for a Mak. I'm just wondering if I should just take the short trip to the Mak. I've been grilling/bbq'ing/smoking for many years so this isn't something I'm just thinking of doing. I just am advancing in a different direction.

hank858SD

Well Smartz-

I've only had the 2-Star for about a month. Once the wife tasted the food off the pellet grill I got the go ahead. Then after a few smokes she asked why did I wait so long to buy the grill. If your wife is like mine once she has a few meals off a MAK she will forget about the cost differences. Here is my 2-cents. . . Go ahead and pick up the MAK you won't have buyers remorse.

Pappymn

Well Smartz-

I've only had the 2-Star for about a month. Once the wife tasted the food off the pellet grill I got the go ahead. Then after a few smokes she asked why did I wait so long to buy the grill. If your wife is like mine once she has a few meals off a MAK she will forget about the cost differences. Here is my 2-cents. . . Go ahead and pick up the MAK you won't have buyers remorse.

X2. More upfront but cheaper in the long haul

TentHunter

I can afford the Mak2 but would really have to do some heavy convincing of my wife that the Mak is the way to go.

If you get the MAK 2 Star, just do what I did...

Let her be the first one to fire it up. She'll love it! ;)
1STCOOK1.JPG

Welcome to the forum!

So Cal Smoker

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. You sound like an experienced Griller/Smoker who would appreciate the higher end Grill/Smoker. I can just about guarantee you if you buy the lower end Grill/Smoker, in about 6 months you'll be buying a high end Grill/Smoker. Don't ask me how I know, but I know. LOL. Good luck and good smoking.

dnew

Hey Steve, I just went from a Traeger Texas to a MAK 2 Star - apples to oranges for sure. I tried to make the Traeger like I wanted it over the past few years by mods (changing controller, etc.) but I just could not get there. My suggestion to you as an experienced smoker is to move directly to the MAK 2 Star. Everything you need is contained within the one unit, no real upgrades needed unless you want to add a remote, additional rack and perhaps later the ability to map your cooks using your computer. I got my MAK last weekend and I very happy with its operation. I love the ability to grill and smoke and the cold smoker/warming drawer is great. It does cost a bit more but the workmanship and operational ability is well worth it.

I jumped into the deep end by buying the MAK 2 star with the cold smoker box right off the bat and have not regretted a single minute of it.

Well that's not entirely true. I wish I had done it sooner.

coppersmoke

I took the plunge and bought the MAK 2 Star for my first pellet smoker. Just got it yesterday and put it together and it is built like a tank. Cooked up some chicken tonight and the wife could not stop saying how good it was. My friend has a Traeger and tried to get me to purchase one and I will say I am glad I didn't. The MAK is awesome.

Hutch

Hands down MAK. But I would consider Yoder 640 or the Green Mountain Jim Bowie. I my opinion there is no comparison between the Traeger and the MAK. I agree with Steve, your comparing apples and oranges...
I have been smoking on a Weber Smokey Mountain and a propane water smoker for over 12 years but have been considering a pellet smoker since Traeger was about the only game in town. Finally going to take the plunge but can't decide between a Traeger Lil Tex Elite or the Mak General 2. Would I always regret not going for the Mak? I can afford the Mak2 but would really have to do some heavy convincing of my wife that the Mak is the way to go.
Steve in San Antonio

RickS

I was in the same boat as yourself and I "DO NOT REGRET' going with the Mak 2!! But you won't get a strong smoke flavor fom a pellet cooker like you do from your WSM! IMO

Top Bottom