Newbie here. Pre-purchase question about ash clean out

SHarpGator

I'm new here. Been cooking on a Traeger for some time. Now I'm looking to upgrade. I had narrowed my choices to the 2 star general, the PG1000 and the Memphis pro. I was about ready to pull the trigger for a MAK when I decided to research the ash clean out function some more. It is very important to me not to have to use my shop vac to clean out the ash. Some users told me that the clean out door on the MAK tends to stick, so they end up using a vacuum anyway. Is there a solution to this or maybe has it already been addressed on recent updates?

Thanks

MAK DADDY

The only way it would stick is if grease gets in the bottom of the pit. The older models had a large gap both front and back of the grease tray so you had to be careful where you placed the food or it would drip into the belly of the beast. The 2012 models have a different pan system with no gaps. I have a 2009 grill and the ash door works fine still but I do use it quite a lot too because I don't keep a shop vac at the grill.
Good luck with your purchase and have fun with whatever you decide!
Bob

SHarpGator

Thanks! Just what I needed to know. I'll be ordering soon.

One of my least favorite chores is hauling the shop vac up the stairs to use it for 30 seconds to clean out the grill.

MAK DADDY

I hear ya, I only have a huge one in the shop and it is a pain to move it around in there let alone clear around the house to the grill.
Buy a small whisk broom with soft bristles and a 1 gallon bucket or can for underneath, works great!

Pappymn

One of my least favorite chores is hauling the shop vac up the stairs to use it for 30 seconds to clean out the grill.

I bought a very portable vac for 25 bucks, that is only used to clean out my Mak.

P.S. Go with the Mak ;)

scooter

Need to be careful with those smaller shop vacs as many of them have filters not rated for ash. You'll turn it on, vacuum out the MAK then turn around and notice the ash cloud and how you just redistributed some of the ash from your cooker over your deck/garage/etc.
Speaking from experience unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

JD McGee

I made the mistake of using my wife's floor vac once...just once! :eek: Now I sweep the ash out the door and into the grease bucket then dump the ash with the grease...easy peasy! :cool:

jimsbarbecue

MAK Daddy fails to mention they always improve where they can and oil in the pits are a lot less then the early models which were not bad. Our stainless MAK get used all the time. We have not cleaned grease out of it since I got it from Bob which is over a year I think.

SHarpGator

I think the sticking door may have been an older model. I'm sold.

I have a dog who hates the shop vac. Just adds another degree of "yuk" to cleaning the grill. Not to mention, I can never get the ash cup completely clean because the igniter gets in the way.

MAK has solved my problem.

On another front, I can't wait for the app. I currently use a BBQ Guru on my BGE. I have several programs I consistently repeat one for ribs and another for brisket. It looks like the app would allow me to save these programs. Sounds awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MAK DADDY

On another front, I can't wait for the app. I currently use a BBQ Guru on my BGE. I have several programs I consistently repeat one for ribs and another for brisket. It looks like the app would allow me to save these programs. Sounds awesome.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can save 3 programs right on the pellet boss too. The web app allows you to name them, save as many as you want, as well as add as many steps as you want. Plus you can save them right to your recipe page for next cook :)

BudGarrison

I had a traeger for years and hated the fact that I had to haul out the shop vac to clean it. Now I have a 5 gallon bucket that I put under the MAK Clean Out Door and sweep the ash out with an old paint brush. Then pop out the fire chamber and dump it and you are done. The whole process takes about 3 minutes and I am just hauling around a bucket and paint brush not my big shop vac.

If you are ordering, 1 accessory I highly suggest is the griddle. We use ours all the time, it makes perfect bacon and all the mess just serves to season the smoker a little more!

SmokinMAK

Going on 3 years here, and never had a stuck ash clean out door, and never needed a shop vac. I have cooked in every way imaginable, and never had a grease issue in the belly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom