OC Bound in December -- What should we do!!! HELP!

HoDeDo

So King of the Smoker is drawing us to BPS-land in December...
BUT - Our girls turn 10 and 12 that week (12/4 and 12/8)-- so we are planning to bring them along, and potentially stay a couple extra days...

So questions are this:
1. We are flying into SNA (cheapest tickets for family) -- what is there to do out that way, that is engaging and not bank breaking! (aka Disneyland!)

2. Probably coming in and taking a day on either end of the weekend (Thurs-Monday) or possibly a mid week load in (Wed-Sun). Is one better than the other?

3. Any other ideas we haven't thought of? For the kiddos or us adults? :cool:

4. places to stay? any one area better than the other? We'll be La Quinta for the weekend -- but outside of that - before or after locations worth considering?

Again, think holiday season, birthday season, so we are being budget minded... :p

Jables

If you not into theme parks, there's offroad tours and atv rentals etc in Palm Springs. I guess there's also the tram ride. If Disney is too pricey maybe knotts berry farm is more affordable or universal studios? Kids love the beach too. It's always interesting walking the pier in Huntington Beach.

scooter

Visiting any park in SoCal (especially Disneyland) will be better mid week than Fri-Mon although Mon is a little better than Friday. Sat and Sun should be avoided at Disneyland!

Disneyland is THE park in SoCal for me. A little on the expensive side but well worth it. It's actually two parks, DL and CA Adventure Park. The place is so big that it would take a multiday trip to take it all in. When I go there I go for at least 4 days. After Thanksgiving week DL is decorated for Christmas. Christmas lights and other decorations are everywhere and the castle is completely lit up. DL is magical when it's decorated for Christmas! So beautiful. I have pics if you'd like to see.
NOTE: If you spent any time at DL as a kid and caught the magic of the place back then, when you visit the place now as an adult you get transported back to when you were a kid and the place is simply enchanting even as an adult. If you’re an adult now and have never been before then it’s just an expensive amusement park. Your kids will catch the magic and you as an adult will most likely not and the bottom line of expense will probably stop you from visiting. My older brother went to DL all his life with me and my middle brother Rick and never connected with the place himself (Back when the term “E ticket ride” meant something!). Sure he had fun like we did but it just never clicked enough to do anything for him now that he’s an adult. He’s an engineer now so that may indicate something. :)
Rick and I did catch it big time and return to DL together with our families in tow. I have made many, many pilgrimages back to DL with my family. All four of us have the magic of the place deep inside and expense is never an issue.
What I mean is, if I were going to be in SoCal on a trip with only one day to kill, there would be NO question which park we’d go to. No question at all and expense be damned, we’d hit DL every time.

Knott's Berry Farm: Cheaper than DL but also no where near as magical and enchanting a place. But, still fun.

Universal Studios: IF you like the movie business, this would be worth the trip although I haven't been there since Jaws was new.

San Diego

Marine World: the girls would love this place if they like fish, birds and marine mammals. They are at the perfect age for MW.

SD Zoo: A world class zoo although it's not laid out on flat ground and the hills can be a challenge.

Wild Animal Park: A zoo where the animals are in a huge natural enclosure where they’re free to move around. You are taken around the perimeter in transports. I think there are rides that you can go on where they take you in a caged vehicle inside the enclosure. There are some caged animals also. Worth a look and not too expensive.

Closing thoughts: If you want to have a fun memorable time then any of the other parks will do. If you want to create a lifetime memory of a magical day for your kids (and maybe even you and Kim), then there's really only one choice in SoCal! That would be Mickey's house!! ;)

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
go to joshua tree, go to the living desert, go to san diego and take the coast up to newport or huntington..plenty to see and do without breaking the bank

KristenBPS

San Diego for sure, lots to do without breaking the bank! I have an annual pass for the San Diego Safari Park & 2 coupons for adult admission for only $15(instead of $42). Kids are $32, which is not cheap...admission includes the Safari tram ride. You are welcome to use the adult passes if you are interested!

scooter

You could make the park visit as part of their Christmas present? It's a plausable way to funnel funds into the SoCal visit.

HoDeDo

Thanks Kristen! We'll map out Wed/Thursday and let you know what we end up planning on.

Yea, Scooter, I get that - when we do Disney, I typically use mousesavers, and book far enough in advance to save a little coin, take advantage of packages/etc. Single day stuff makes it a rush, so we'll save DL for the next bigger trip we plan... But we love DL! I'm thinking beach, parks, etc. for this trip... since the focus is still the BBQ. And we'll be peppering in a couple of birthday celebratory meals - for 10 and 12!

Really appreciate everyone's ideas. We're planning somewhat on the fly, since we just decided to pull the trigger and bring them along. So all the info is great, in the thread, PMs, etc. It's gonna be a blast!!!

Jables

Hard to beat the beach. The best free entertainment out there for kids bar none. I'm lucky to have never lived further than 100 yards from one.

scooter

Hopefully the beach weather will hold until December. Wait a minute! It's SoCal, it's always beach weather!! Have a great time whatever you end up doing!

Big Poppa

Administrator
great idea Meat or the San Diego Zoo....This is a great thread because there are so many things to do in so cal that dont cost a fortune and are truly unique....the getty museum, the griffith park observatory....maybe get tix to a taping of a tv show...

HoDeDo

These are all great ideas... Looks like we'll have way more to do than time to do it.
Should be alot of fun for the family. And another set of memories made possible by the amazing community of BBQ.
Looking forward to the stories this trip will add to the satchel.

Top Bottom