Old pellet head from Flagstaff, AZ

Ozric

Smoking and grilling at 7,000 ft. Doesn't get any better than that.

I got started on pellet grills about 8 years ago. I was living in Scottsdale, AZ at the time in one of those bloody awful, snotty gated communities with lots of restrictions. Due to the design of my unit, I wasn't permitted to use either gas or charcoal. They thought that left only electric. Big wrong on that one. Being the president of the HOA, I felt compelled to follow the same rules I was forced to enforce. After a great deal of research (much of it legal), I determined that pellet grills were not proscribed by the city's fire code (as were gas and charcoal). So, I wrote a rule that permitted the use of pellet grills.:)

Then, I had to acquire one. At the time, I picked Traeger, and bought a 125 Executive (I wanted a large grilling area, but was limited on width in where I could place the grill on my patio, so having the hopper in front worked great). I managed pretty well with it, but it wasn't until I added 6 GrillGrates to it that I really got to have fun with it. The GrillGrates raised the effective temp at the grill surface level by 40°-60°F (steaks started turning out reasonably well) at max. temp AND balanced the temps left-to-right at all cooking temps (the left-right delta went from 30°-50°F down to 10°-20°F).

About a year into that endeavor, I received a Traeger newsletter announcing that they were expanding and looking for help. Long story short, I wound up being the Arizona sales manager for a bit. I loved the grill, but having come from a Six Sigma (quality) background at Motorola (I came up through engineering and spent the last 7 years running the Six Sigma consulting practice in Europe and Asia for Motorola University), I found the design and production facilities to be, well, primordial. We wound up not getting along so well. I was personally suffering from quality issues (peeling paint, igniter rods failing catastrophically (was there any other way on a Traeger?) and regularly. Let's just say that they didn't respond well to suggestions...of any type. Well, I've got a problem trying to sign up dealers for a product that I KNOW they will have trouble with. How could I ask them to pony up premium bucks for a product line that would cost them significantly in customer support? In the end, I wound up with a truck that got 13 mpg that I no longer needed. Took a bath on it.

So, a divorce and 2 moves later (into a rental, and then into my new home in Flag), I have a dead Traeger (augur motor and fan). I was so darn tired of putting money into that 125, that I went looking for a replacement.

I was looking at MAK and Memphis and FEC (I really like Cookshack's chicken rub), when I stumbled onto Yoder Smokers at a regional BBQ comp. in Williams, AZ the end of last month. The pit master was running a 640 and one of the new 1320s. The pit bull and the old engineer in me went Tasmanian.:D A bunch of research later, I ordered a Yoder YS640 with the second shelf, GrillGrate direct grilling kit, probe port and a fitted cover. It's scheduled to ship 7/31! And they're throwing in 40 lbs of pellets. Woot!

I've been making do with my Weber Performer and Smokenator. Can't wait to get back on a pellet grill.

Even though I didn't order a MAK or a Memphis, I hope you will allow me to participate on this forum. Besides, I haven't found a good local source for pellets here in Flagstaff (help, anyone?), so I need a place to order BBQr's Delight pellets from, and being in the west, the BBQr's Delight website pointed me to Big Poppa Smokers.

So here I am.

¡Buenos dias!

dnew

Welcome and congrats on the new smoker. Most of us have been down the Traeger road and move on to something else. Enjoy!

Patrick_CT

Congrats on the new Yoder!! I was between the MAK and the Yoder also but the newest Yoder had just come out. Looking forward to seeing your cooks.

Ozric

... Looking forward to seeing your cooks.

You have NO idea how much I am looking forward to sharing them. ;)

With a dead Traeger, using a Weber/Smokenator every day got tiresome. My 640 is due to ship next Wednesday. I hope to be up and running by the end of the following week. You'll know it's here when you see my post. lol

Big Poppa

Administrator
you asre welcome here but just read the few rules and you will be fine...As far as sources the only source given here is me...sort of a reward for paying for the site...

Welcome from NorCal! Welcome to the site. I don't care what you cook on, just show (and tell) us what you did! I have learned a whole bunch from MossyMO and Tatonka and their Yoder. Looks like a great pellet smoker.

Ozric

Welcome to the forum and don't forget to cook bacon on your new Yoder first, makes for good Juju. LOL, good luck and good smoking.

Was that your post showing bacon covering both shelves in a new 640? I saw that yesterday, somewhere. Perfect timing. I'll add bacon to my shopping list. Thanks.

Top Bottom