Ox Tail

regency

Just butchered 15 head of steers and the butcher saved the ox tails for me. Any suggestions on smoking these. Heard they are wonderful if done right, but I have never seen or heard of them before.

Chili Head

Oooooooh I've been wanting to try these too! I even had some in the cart a week ago and changed my mind..
Just do a google search for recipes and you'll find one you like I'm sure.

regency

OK here is my plan (for the first five or so anyway). Marinade overnight with evoo and rub, hour before smoking remove and pat dry and re apply rub. Smoke to color. Foil with some sort of sauce/liquid (havent decided yet) and cook at 225 til tender. Kinda sounds like I am doing a brisket doesnt it! I may try another 5 or 6 in a foil pan with some liquid and just boil/braise for a long time.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok sounds grat...foiling and braising are very siimilar.....one little tip if I may...
Boiling is a no no in searing...if you get the liquid to boil you will end up with tough meat.

If you are braising in a pan it is about 225 and you make sure the foil sits on top of the food liquid and make sure you dont hear it talking (bubble boiling sounds)

I learned this from a James Beard winning chef and it changed my results big time.

I would start by smoking them for an hour or until it gets color or quiclky searing them prior to the foil or pan braise. The difference is that you cet more sauce in a pan braise

sparky

275 for 2 hours

2 layers of foil. Wrap w/ honey, butter & brown sugar. Cook another hour.

Unwrap put back on until toothpick goes threw easy.

Perfect ox tails every time. :)

regency

Gonna give 'er a try this weekend. Sparky sounds like he knows what he is doing. Might have to save a few to try some soup later this winter. Will let you know how it turns out. Maybe a contest entry?????????????

regency

OK the ox tail was a waste. What little meat that you could get to was good but I think I burned a couple thousand calories per bite. Threw half of them away (the dog seemed to appreciate them though!). Brisket turned out good.

regency

Actually I did. Had to adjust the time and temp a little as I had the brisket on at the same time and didnt want to cook the brisket at that high if temp. Also was the first time with BBQ delight pellets and they definitely burn hotter than those crappy treager pellets (about 50 degrees!). Didnt pay attention to the temp much in the first 1 1/2 hours so things cooked hotter than I had planned. It was the fist time I had ever seen ox tail so not sure if they were "normal". I am kind of questioning our butcher anyway. On two 1500 pound steers we only got 4 briskets of 5 to 7 pounds and this was the first of them that I cooked. The point and the flat were about the same size. He didnt leave the 1/4 inch of fat on the bottom like I requested.

regency

Well when you think about it tails arent much different than ribs. Bone with a little meat. Like I said the meat that was on there was pretty damn good just not much there and a lot of fat and bone to work around. I wish the ribs I did last week tasted as good as the meat on these. Well off to another experiment!!!! Gonna try my first pork butt next.

Top Bottom