Pellet consumption

Pappymn

Did a 16 hour cook of some shoulder at mostly 225 degrees. Blew through very nearly a full 20 pound hopper of hickory Lumberjack pellets. I could see the auger when i opened the hopper. Outside temp was 95-100 degrees.

Is this a "normal" rate of consumption? Using Mak 2 Star.

Scallywag

Usually a pound per hour.. depends on wind and such. I wouldn't worry about it. Clean out your ash pot after that cook though.

Tatonka3A2

Seems a tad on the high side but like Scallywag said... there is a lot of factors. Keep on using it and see where you are. We use Lumberjack pellets and are very happy with them. We are smoking with a Yoder.

Last edited:

sparky

also the bbq delight is oak based. i burnt less pellets w/ a oak based pellets. i think because i'm getting more heat w/ less pellet. who knows? i've only had 1 latte so far.

HoDeDo

Sparky is right on. Those pellets you used were 100% Hickory I would assume. They have a lower BTU output than a blended pellet with oak. BBQrs Delight blends 2/3's oak and 1/3 flavor wood, so regardless of flavor you get a nice consistent BTU output from the pellet ( and lower ash).

Lumberjack makes a blend with Red Oak, to help compensate, but it is still mostly Hickory. You really notice if you move to a 100% fruitwood pellet that is much lower BTUs.

Hope that helps. If you try their oak pellet, I bet your consumption will decrease. Or just go for BBQr's Delight, and pick your favorite hardwood, and fruitwood go 50/50 :)

MAK DADDY

The MAK burns approx .7lbs/hr at 200 and 1.3lbs/hr at 300 during factory testing. Pellets will vary the consumption rate as well as the induction air temp, cleanliness etc. Remember it takes pellets to create all that smoke you get from your MAK :)
Hope that helps.
Bob

Pappymn

Thanks everybody for your collective wisdom. The food turned out fantastic. I was just surprised to see the auger when I shut her own for the night. First time I have seen it since putting the unit together.

sparky

i like what bear once said, "if the hopper is out i just get another bag, if the bag is out i just go the pallet, if the pallet out i just make a phone call". as someone once said easy pezie. ;)

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

Yes, and yes we don't recommend burning 100% pellets as they can jam your auger and build up a lot of ash.
You can always check your pellet boss version by pressing and holding the up arrow for 10 seconds.

Pappymn

Thanks Mak Daddy. Is 100% oak ok? I cleaned the Mak today. Significant ash from the 16 hour 100% hickory cook. Burn pot was almost half full!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Once again Memphis strongly discourages the use of Lumberjack in any flavor due to the lab testing for ask content.

Top Bottom