Pellet cooker basics

melroycen

I don't have my cooker yet, but was curious about how you use it for smoking compared to other types of smokers.

Water pan or no?
Food in pans or on grill grates?
Mop/sop/baste/spritz needed or no?
Foil/wrap or no?
I am sure some of these might vary based on what you're cooking, especially the last two.
I've been reading in a few cookbooks on smoking that these factors can vary based on what type of smoker you use, but they do not specifically mention pellet smokers. Electric smokers, tightly sealed smokers, wood pit smokers, and vertical water smokers are mentioned. Which type are the pellet smokers most like?

Quadman750

I don't have my cooker yet, but was curious about how you use it for smoking compared to other types of smokers.

Water pan or no?
Food in pans or on grill grates?
Mop/sop/baste/spritz needed or no?
Foil/wrap or no?
I am sure some of these might vary based on what you're cooking, especially the last two.
I've been reading in a few cookbooks on smoking that these factors can vary based on what type of smoker you use, but they do not specifically mention pellet smokers. Electric smokers, tightly sealed smokers, wood pit smokers, and vertical water smokers are mentioned. Which type are the pellet smokers most like?
-I use a water pan in the winter sometimes because the humidity is very low here where I am
-I don't use a pan,anything resting on a solid surface will not get any smoke, I use frog mats for almost everything.
-I don't mop , it just seems to add a lot of time to the cook due to heat loss, moisture is never really a concern unless you overlook (seems everything comes out juicier off the pellet grill). I usually sauce the last 15-30 minutes.
-this is personal preference, if time is a factor you can foil to speed up the stall on a brisket or pork butt, I don't foil my briskest or butts (many do). I foil my ribs which come out great

Last edited:

TentHunter

Food in Pans or Grill Grates? Depends...

Mac & Cheese doesn't work out so well spooning it out directly onto the grate! :p Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Seriously, Quadman pretty much nailed what I was going to say, so I'll just add this tidbit.

Water Pan: Yep, the humidity where you live affects this. Like Quadman, I use a water pan during Winter, when the air is dry.

And it doesn't need to be a huge water pan underneath. I will often use a couple of tin cans or a small loaf pan off to the side, filled with hot water.

TrickyDick

You can still get smoke when using a pan though. I had a buddy visit and he cooked a brisket while I was at work using my pellet grill. He was used to using a different smoker back at his home, a BGE I think. Anyway, I think he foiled and had in pan before that for most/all of the cook. Great taste but no smoke ring.... I live in FL and it's humid year round more or less. I can't tell any difference in water pan usage except one more thing to clean. As you've indicated, the mops, spritzing, and other things vary greatly with what you are cooking. For the most part pellet smokers seems to be set it and forget it, rather than fiddle with it a lot, though I am not a competition bbq cooker.

What grill are you getting? You will probably want to accessorize with some form of grill grate in order to be able to get a good sear on a pellet smoker. Can be done without, but sure makes it easy to just get a searing grate.

Ditto on the frog mats. Love those things!

JessieBPS

This is all great info, especially the water pan in the winter - I had no idea some people did that! Going to have to share that with the crew here at BPS HQ.

Big Poppa also sells Poppa Mats - similar to the Frog Mat - you can get them here: https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/big-poppa-mats-accessories

They really are good at keeping food from sticking to the grates - just don't use them over direct flame or they'll melt!

Top Bottom