Pellet Flavors vs Hopper Capacity

weasel

Hey all,
Question for you. There are obviously many choices of pellet types/flavors that we can use to cook our food with, and I look forward to experimenting with the various types of wood and meat combinations. I haven't really figured out how fast my pit chews threw this stuff yet. I've seen various graphs related to outside temperature and pit temperature, etc, to give me some idea, but it's not like there are lines in my hopper that show I have an hours worth of pellets left at 225, etc. So here's the conundrum: I don't see any really easy way to get pellets back out of the hopper (I have a memphis pro). So If I wanted a new type, I'd have to burn off the old first. So I guess my question is this: For those of you who like to use different types of wood, frequently, do you just put in small quantities, and keep an eye on it to make sure you don't run out? Or have most of you just settled on a particular flavor that you use for everything, most of the time and then try and empty out the hopper on special occasion?

Cheers!

muebe

Just scoop out the old pellets out of the hopper with a small cup and then run the rest through on your next cook. They will run through by the time the grill is pre-heated.

If you have the safety grid installed over your hopper just remove it.

FLBentRider

I have a MAK 2 star, which has a pellet dump door. But I really don't use it that much. I tend to put 20# in the hopper and use it until it is gone on whatever I am cooking.

Every time I've tried the "small quantities and watch it" method it fails me.

TentHunter

Yeah, the new Memphis grills have that protector grid to keep your fingers out of the hopper. You'll most likely need to remove it if you want to be able to change pellets.

We tend to switch pellet flavors a lot depending on what we're cooking. So, we usually just add more pellets than we think we'll need and scoop what's left out before the next cook if we're switching flavors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom