Pellet Grill won't go over 300 degrees anymore

Bedford

Ok already, it's a traegar big tex. I've only had it a little over a year now and have tried several brands of pellets. All I have now on hand is BBQ Delight. When I purchased the grill I bought a lot of Traegar pellets and we used the grill as an oven as well as a smoker. Then I got a Weber Genesis S330 to go with it and have only used it as a smoker. Recently we tried to cook pizza on the Traegar like we did before and the temp only went up to a little over 300 and that took a long time. Pizza still cooked and tasted fine, but what happened to the heat. I contacted Traegar and they (of course) blamed it on the pellets saying that Traegar's are designed to get hotter for just this purpose. They had me time the pellets from the pellet box to the firebox and it came out fine. Is there something to what they are saying?

right now I have pecan pellets but also have the same results with oak, apple and hickory. We did some Tilapia today and when I went out to check it, my thermometer actually read 353 degrees. My pellets are in Kingsford charcoal plastic buckets under my work bench on a covered patio. I live in Colorado where it is pretty dry and normally low humidity. Help please

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:

Meat Man

I wouldn't think the pellets are the problem. My first pellet cooker was a Treager Pro with a digital control. I could never reach the highest temp (500 Degrees) with Treager pellets. BBQr's Delight Oak pellets easily pushed that grill to 500. I would check the thermal couple and make sure it's clean.

Bedford

I'm not sure where the thermo couple is on the grill. Is it the same as the temp probe?

thank you for your help

dnew

Usually on the Traeger the thermo couple is located to the left when facing the grill. It looks like a metal probe, try taking a scrubbie and cleaning it good.

TrickyDick

Yeah, I think it could be "carbonized" or in other words, just dirty and it is causing errors in the temp measurement. clean it until it shines. if that doesn't work, I'm afraid I will be of no help - unless it needs xrays...

TD

Top Bottom