Pellet (MAK 1 star) or Vertical Cabinet (Humphrey Weekender w/PID fan)

coctostan

I'm looking for thoughts on the Mak 1-star vs the Humphrey Weekender with a PID fan controller. I know this is a pellet forum, but I'd guess there are a few people with experience beyond pellets. My primary use for the grill would be for smoking, not high temp grilling. I know the Mak can do that with the FlameZone, but that is relatively immaterial for me.

My experience is only with WSM, Pit Barrel, some cheap electrics and 2-zone kettles. I want something with more capacity and solid temp control.

So, solely for smoking typical briskets, tri tips, butts, ribs, turkeys, chickens, etc which is the better option? They both have similar capacity and temps should be equally stable. From what I can tell, the biggest difference is the pellet vs charcoal flavor.

Any opinions?

mcschlotz

Welcome! It comes down to what is important to you. I did my research 5 plus years ago and from what I can tell it is still valid. ergo my sig below

coctostan

Welcome! It comes down to what is important to you. I did my research 5 plus years ago and from what I can tell it is still valid. ergo my sig below

Well how about that... I'm just north of Indy. Thanks for the welcome.

I know that this is the pellet forum, I'm just curious if anyone has experience with the two types of smokers. I know Big Poppa sells both so he clearly endorses both styles and brands.

Do you miss the charcoal flavor?

mcschlotz

I really don't miss the charcoal flavor at all. The MAK produces great results. Very pleased with it.

Matt
(in Avon actually)

jimsbarbecue

We have all kinds of smokers MAK, Drum Smoker, Hasty Bake and a Ole Hickory Pit Ace BP. We love them all. To be honest the MAK Grills get used more then all the others put together.

coctostan

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

I ended up finding a Mak 1 Star on Craigslist with a few years worth of pellets so I jumped on it. I did my first cook yesterday and it came out great. I have to say that it was shockingly easy. I guess I shouldn't be shocked. Load the hopper, set the temps and go.

Unfortunately, my Thermoworks Signal froze up so I didn't a chart of the temps. I'm curious to see how stable it is able to maintain them. I did notice that the upper grate is about 20-30f warmer than the Mak's sensor reads.

mcschlotz

That temp difference is about in line with what I experienced from 1st MAK. Easy enough to adjust for once you know about it.

Top Bottom