Pellets, which burn hotter?

gwapogorilla

Hey all!:p This is my first post, as I am new to the forum.
Anyways, I am planning on getting my YS640 in a few months and doing a little research into pellets. And, I must admit, I am a bit confused.:confused:
I see most people like to use oak pellets as they give out more heat. But, in all actuality Hickory is a denser wood, and Orange Osage(aka Hedge-wood) is even more so.
So, why aren't pellets more 100% Hickory or 70% Hickory/30% other?
Can anyone explain this to me?

I have stocked up on pellets, but I go for the 100% varieties and try to stay away from blends. (Accept for perfect-mix from cookin'pellets) The reason for this choice is because I also use pellets in my smoker... have been for years. So, I was wondering if my Hickory pellets are going to be hot enough, or if I will need to get some Oak pellets to push me up to searing temps?:confused:

RickB

Hey all!:p This is my first post, as I am new to the forum.
Anyways, I am planning on getting my YS640 in a few months and doing a little research into pellets. And, I must admit, I am a bit confused.:confused:
I see most people like to use oak pellets as they give out more heat. But, in all actuality Hickory is a denser wood, and Orange Osage(aka Hedge-wood) is even more so.
So, why aren't pellets more 100% Hickory or 70% Hickory/30% other?
Can anyone explain this to me?

I have stocked up on pellets, but I go for the 100% varieties and try to stay away from blends. (Accept for perfect-mix from cookin'pellets) The reason for this choice is because I also use pellets in my smoker... have been for years. So, I was wondering if my Hickory pellets are going to be hot enough, or if I will need to get some Oak pellets to push me up to searing temps?:confused:

Most pellets are a blend for a couple of reasons. Flavor and BTU. Most blends use a oak base for the superior BTU output. While hickory does have a larger BTU rating, Im sure hickorys stong flavor profile is the reason oak is used as a base. Another reason for blending is to reduce the ash. Higher BTU pellets produce less ash. 100 percent woods do give you more flavor but at cost. Higher price, higher pellet consumption at a given temp and higher ash buildup. I find the blends a better bang for the buck.

Last edited:

RickB

Thanks for the quick reply Rick. But, I am still confused as to why an Oak pellet is said to give more btu than a Hickory pellet? Hickory is a more dense and heavy wood. Here is a link that shows the information I am talking about.
http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g1554/build/g1554.pdf
Does running the wood fines through a pellet mill change the properties of the wood?

Oak does NOT have a higher btu than hickory. but hickory has such a strong flavor profile it would overpower any fruitwood it was blended with. Its not just btu, but the blend that counts. Oak is a neutral flavor high btu wood. Great base to blend with.its a combination of all the factors that count. Cost,flavor,btu,ash and the ability not to overpower the fruitwoods. Of course i am commenting from a pellet cooker standpoint. Hope this helps.

gwapogorilla

Thanks Rick. I've only been concerned about flavor thus far. The whole pellet grill thing adds a new dimension of things to consider.

Top Bottom