pork butt fat cap on or off?

Saxguy

I'm trying out BP's pork butt recipe as per his video. In the video he leaves the fat cap on, but I know there was some discussion a while back about cooking with the cap up, down or off. Ideally I'd like more bark, but want to know if there are any negative issues with removing the cap and if it alters the cooking time.

Meat Man

I cook mine on, fat side down to protect the meat. I have cooked a separated butt before and it worked just fine.

TrickyDick

If you're on a MAK though, and using an elevated rack, with the standard, non-flame zone insert, would it really matter if you put cap up or down? I was thinking cap up would baste the meat with the rendered fat as it melted. Next time I get a couple that even have a decent fat cap (most that I'm able to find are well trimmed) I might do a cap up and cap down comparison just to see.

TD

scooter

I used to trim it off but not anymore. In fact I really don't trim much off a butt at all anymore. With all meats, the fat cap faces the heat source to provide a level of protection for the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

Big Poppa

Administrator
actually scooter that is the old story the fat side cooks faster....the fat gets hotter than the liquid in the meat...

Top Bottom