Pork butt ideas

68sting

I going to do a pork butt tomorrow and would like to try a new rub or combination of rubs. Let me know what you like to use. I did find someone who liked this combo: Sweet Money Rub, Sweet Seduction and Pecan rub. Any buddy ever tried this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TentHunter

If you really want something different, one idea is a Jamaican Jerk Marinade, or rub. It's just a nice change-up now and then.

Here's a marinade recipe in this thread: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/jamaican-feast-jerk-fritters-1297/

or...

If you just want that Jerk flavor in a rub, try this:

2 TBS Paprika
2 TBS Brown Sugar
1 TBS Garlic Powder
1 TBS Onion Powder
1 TBS Salt
1 tsp dried thyme - crushed
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 - 2 tsp Cayenne pepper - Depending on how hot you want it (1/2 tsp is milder - 2 tsp is pretty hot).

Note: If you have Habanero powder you can use it at 1/4 the amount of Cayenne. Habanero powder is hard to find locally though, and tends to be quite pricey. What you're really after is the heat, so cayenne works just fine.

Last edited:

TrickyDick

A while back, some guy I've bought stuff online from through his website peddling Jamaican jerk products such as authentic Jamaican pimento wood had claimed he was working on pimento pellets. That was several years ago though and nothing new.

Pork butt is a great cut. If you want to try something different and not necessarily smoked or BBQ'ed, cut it into big chunks, and place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water. Add 4 bay leaves, 1 orange quartered, and 1 onion quartered. Skim the scum as it comes to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender and all water has evaporated and the fat has rendered. Remove bay leaves. The orange and onion will have disintegrated. Pull out the pork chunks and pull/ shred in batches crisped in the residual oil/rendered fat or alternately, in a separate skillet with fresh oil. Serve in fresh corn tortillas with cotija cheese and salsa verde. Yum.

Option 2, check the BPS videos for several additional ideas.

Quadman750

Just ordered my simply marvellous pack from you, can't wait to try, you wouldn't want to give away any rub secrets, I mean rub combinations would ya... Lol.

scooter

He does from time to time. You need to pay attention to everything he posts. Little bits of comp wisdom sometimes right out in the open, sometimes cryptic.

Quadman750

He does from time to time. You need to pay attention to everything he posts. Little bits of comp wisdom sometimes right out in the open, sometimes cryptic.

I've noticed he shares a lot of info which is very generous, & he shared his rubs with the world as well.::D:D:D

Top Bottom