Pork Butt question I have .

HogSmoker

Going to smoke a couple or three butts on the MAK 1 star. Been researching a few threads so here's the plan correct me if Im headed wrong.. thanks

Get the butt grill ready
Set temp 220-250 ?
What Im reading it is a 10-12 hour trip ?
Ok here's the deal I have never foiled pork butt so can someone tell me the process? I read foil at 160 so do I foil at 160 and keep cooking or is it foil at 160 and let it rest ?

Any temps, time and other tips / step by step on smoking pork butt would be appreciated because I'm flying in the dark... thanks H/S

Jables

Foil at 160, keep it cooking till it hits 205ish. Throw 1/4 cup of your favorite injection or marinade or even apple juice in the foil with it.

TTNuge

If it were me I would put the butt on at "smoke" for about 2-3 hours. Then crank the 1 Star up to 275* and let it go until the butt reaches around 160. Then put it in foil with some juices, back on the cooker and pull it off at somewhere between 195-205. If you have a Thermapen or some other probe type thermometer, pull it off when it slides in nice and easy.

sparky

If it were me I would put the butt on at "smoke" for about 2-3 hours. Then crank the 1 Star up to 275* and let it go until the butt reaches around 160. Then put it in foil with some juices, back on the cooker and pull it off at somewhere between 195-205. If you have a Thermapen or some other probe type thermometer, pull it off when it slides in nice and easy.

i to the same thing as ttnuge except after smoking i cook at 240° - 250° depending on the outside temp.

The Stig

I always set the butts out the night before to let them come up to room temp. This will cut time off of your cook.

Top Bottom