Pork Butts

SmokinMAK

OK, so not an exciting topic. But read on a bit.

I'm planning on doing 2 butts tomorrow. One "normal", and one "Asian".

My thought is to inject with a low sodium soy sauce (perhaps watered down a bit), and seasoned with a rub of garlic, ginger, five spice, pepper. I'm thinking of making a Korean-style BBQ sauce to ladle over it when served.

Has anyone tried anything like this with a Pork Butt before? I'm winging it on the recipe.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this before.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmokinMAK

OK, I know the rules - no pics, it didn't happen. Sorry no pics. Here is what I settled on:

Rub:
2 Tbs 5 Spice
2 Tbs Brown Sugar
1 Tbs Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Onion Powder
1 Tsp Ginger Powder
1 Tbs Sea Salt (coarse)
1 Tbs Black Pepper
1 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper.

Injection:
3/4 cup Apple Juice
3/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Rice Vinegar

The pork butt came out with more of a brown color, and a very definite Asian flavor. Could have had more garlic/ginger in my opinion.

Topped it with some Yoshida's Teriyaki Sauce. Next time I'll do my own Korean sauce with some fresh ginger and garlic.

I use leftover pulled pork in some of those Annie Chung's noodle bowls, and I think this Asian pulled pork will taste fantastic in them!

RickB

OK, I know the rules - no pics, it didn't happen. Sorry no pics. Here is what I settled on:

Rub:
2 Tbs 5 Spice
2 Tbs Brown Sugar
1 Tbs Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Onion Powder
1 Tsp Ginger Powder
1 Tbs Sea Salt (coarse)
1 Tbs Black Pepper
1 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper.

Injection:
3/4 cup Apple Juice
3/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Rice Vinegar

The pork butt came out with more of a brown color, and a very definite Asian flavor. Could have had more garlic/ginger in my opinion.

Topped it with some Yoshida's Teriyaki Sauce. Next time I'll do my own Korean sauce with some fresh ginger and garlic.

I use leftover pulled pork in some of those Annie Chung's noodle bowls, and I think this Asian pulled pork will taste fantastic in them!L

That rub looks great ! Think i'm going to try that.

Top Bottom