pork spareribs - OK to cook a day ahead and reheat?

Canyonier

We are hosting a family get-together in a couple of days and I just returned from a meat market with 4 slabs of pork spareribs.
I just had a bright idea. Since I'm going to be very busy the day of the party why not smoke the ribs in my pellet grill a day ahead of time, leave the slabs intact and wrap each slab in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
The next day, the party day, reheat the still-wrapped slabs in the kitchen oven at about 170 deg for, say, 2 hours. Then I would unwrap and slice.
Sound OK? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Glenn

TentHunter

First, if you're reheating the ribs - wrapped in plastic wrap - then it better be a low temp.

Second, ribs don't require a lot of baby sitting, and you're only doing 4 slabs. This is how you could do it with a minimal amount of effort/time on party day (it's how I do them for cookouts, etc.):

The evening before the party:
  • Prep the ribs (trim, pull the membrane off & apply rub).
  • Get your grill cleaned & ready for the cook.

The day of the party:
  1. About 5 hours before guests arrive, turn your grill on to 225°, put the ribs on and LEAVE THEM ALONE for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
    Unless you have a rib thief in your neighborhood, go do whatever you need to do for your party; don't check the ribs; don't worry about them!
    5 - 10 minutes of time involved.
  2. After 3 hours, put them in a foil pan with just a bit of liquid in the bottom (About a cup of beer, apple juice, etc.), cover them tightly, and bump the temp to 275° for 1 hour.
    Go finish taking care of your party. Forget about the ribs; they are fine!
    5 more minutes of time involved.
  3. After 1 hour, take them out of the foil pan and back on the grill to sauce/finish at a low temp of 225°. This last hour is when you have any real time involved saucing, checking them for doneness, & slicing as your guests arrive (which you would be doing anyway).
  4. Bonus - After you slice them, you have a foil pan to put them in for serving - less cleanup!

Just my 2¢ - if it's worth that much. ;)

Last edited:

Salmonsmoker

Tent, I think you have a great plan. I missed the "still wrapped in plastic in the oven" part of Canyon's post. If I were to do that, the ribs would be wrapped in foil for a low temp. re-heat.

Top Bottom